Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview 8.5 vs. Qlikview 10

Hi Guys.

We're considering upgrading QV server (and developer)

• From: version 8.5 installed on Windows Server 2003 64 bit
  • To: version 10 (or 9.0-SR6, if 10 is not final)

What are the differences between the versions is terms of

• Hardware needed
  • Operation System
  • Something else..? (Windows application, additional softwares we must purchase, licenses, permissions, etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Montal.

5 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Montal,

First of all, v9 is on SR7 so if you're going to go that route, I would suggest using the latest release. Both 8.5 and 10 support Windows 2003 and Windows 2008. Here are the requirements of each from the Server Reference Manuals for you to compare:

v8.5

• 1 GHz (x86 processor) or 1.4 GHz (x64 processor). 2 GHz or faster, with several cores/processors recommended
  • HD with at least 450 MB of free disk space
  • 512MB RAM minimum (1 GB RAM or more recommended on x86 systems, 4 GB or more on x64 systems)
  • Microsoft .NET 2.0
  • Paging File Size defined as 4 GB or greater. For x64 systems, recommendation is 1.5 times the amount of RAM

v10

• 1 GHz (x86 processor) or 1.4 GHz (x64 processor). 2 GHz or faster, with several cores/processors recommended
  • HD with at least 450 MB of free disk space
  • 1 GB RAM minimum on x86 systems and 4GB minimum on X64 systems
  • Microsoft .NET 3.5
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 and later, Firefox 3 or Google Chrome to use QlikView Management Console

Other than this general overview, there are many other differences between the two platforms. For example, there is no concept of "Professional" vs "Developer" licenses anymore. For a complete overview, I suggest you contact your QlikTech account representative.

Regards,

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'd strongly recommend testing your applications prior to upgrading, even if it means that you have to purchase a test server... So many things have changed since 8.5, that it's likely that some features that you used might have been affected.

Another key difference is that Server and Publisher Management Consoles have been completely redesigned in version 9.00. So, some Server training or help of a certified consultant wouldn't hurt...

Not applicable
Author

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

hoe did it go with the upgrade? I'm in for this kind of upgrade as well but it never seems to be a good time.

Please share the experience!

Thanks in advance!

Not applicable
Author

QV10 is at SR4 and is stable.

The upgrade path from 8.5 to 10 (highly recommended) is a bit complicated and the steps should be followed meticulously.

I strongly support Oleg's suggestion that you engage a certified consultant either from Qliktech or one of our trained and experienced partners to assist you with this upgrade.