Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbfxkiryl
Contributor
Contributor

Qlik Sense. The qvf app size is not reduced after deleting data.

Hi,

1. I created the qlik sense app: qvf file = 65 MB. It was quite big file and I wanted to reduce the size.

2. I deleted a few charts, a few data sources (excel files).
3. Re uploaded data.

4. The size is still the same.

5. I use Qlik Sense Desktop 3.0.1. Tried on 3.0.0. The result is the same.

Do you have any ideas how to decrease the size and why it's not applied?

Kiryl.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mario1983
Creator
Creator

Hi Kiryl,

i answered in your other post.

in Sense Hub make right click on app, open without data, then save the app. the size of the app will now be at 200-300kb. then you can reaload the data.

Qlik Sense. Why the size of app is not reduced?

Greets

Mario

View solution in original post

7 Replies
shwetagupta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Kiryl,

Though it should reduce the size of the app but you can store data into qvds that will help you in compressing the qvf.

SYNTAX: Store Table Name into [lib://QVDFOLDERNAME/Table Name.qvd](qvd);

I hope this will help you !

Colin-Albert

Qlik replaces each value that is loaded into the app with a pointer to a symbol table, so the actual data is only held once, with one or many pointers. This means that removing many occurrences of the same value may not reduce the file size by as much as you think.

This post has more details of how the data is stored in QlikView though the same logic applies to Sense.

Symbol Tables and Bit-Stuffed Pointers

Colin-Albert

This post has some useful tips on reducing the number of distinct values in your data and the effect that can have on the size of your data model. The usual culprits are ID and timestamp fields.

The Importance Of Being Distinct

rbfxkiryl
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for your response.
I import in Qlik Sense Excel sets and tables from mysql data base (ODBC driver connection), more than 15 tables.

Let me make sure I understand it right, when I import table I need to store in QVD format. Right?

Colin-Albert

You do not need to use QVD files. The data that is loaded into sense is already stored in RAM, there is no need to store the data to QVD unless you need to load it again in another app.

QVDs are useful if you are sharing data between several apps as you can load from the database once and then load from the QVD into the individual apps without hitting the database again.

Or if you need to implement an incremental load process then QVDs are used.

mario1983
Creator
Creator

Hi Kiryl,

i answered in your other post.

in Sense Hub make right click on app, open without data, then save the app. the size of the app will now be at 200-300kb. then you can reaload the data.

Qlik Sense. Why the size of app is not reduced?

Greets

Mario

rbfxkiryl
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks, Mario. it works well.