Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Add Data Vs Data Load Editor

HI

I am using qlik sense.What is difference between add data and data load editory.

I am trying to connect my oracle DB using both option taking long time around 20 mins till not completed.

1.What is difference between both option

2.Why taking long time

3. Without data loading is it possible to join and create reports.

Thanks

Govind R

10 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

1. The only difference is the way the script is generated --  if you are not adjusting the script in the load editor, then there is no difference at all.

2. Check that the SQL query is not the problem. Check the query performance in another tool (such as Toad).

3. What would you be reporting? The expression editor will show errors for the missing fields and will not autocomplete them. And you would have no way of checking that the expression is correct.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

The purpose of both is same i.e create a script which can load the data.

Add Data - This is used and helpful when you dont know about how to load the data. This will guide you through the wizard and generate the script for you.

Data Load Editor - This will take you directly to the place where script are written, this will be helpful when you want to write your own script.

As far as your data loading issue, there could be multiple reasons.

1. Data Size which you are trying to load.

2. The machine capability to handle the data (The machine from which you are loading the data) (Insufficient RAM and CPU)

3. Data Push capability of your database.

4. The network bandwidth.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot.

I select 16 dimension tables and 2 fact tables.Then i select add data option after 20 mins later i got error like

An error Occured. The app has beed closed.To continue working please refresh the app.

Now my question is if i select 18 tables then

1. Is it extract all tables data into local (Where my qvf files stored)

2. some tables dont have correct field names for joining, After data loading only i have to give join.

Now what can i do ?

its_anandrjs

Dear Govind,

1. For SQL Query connection i suggest create the connection string Or with variable otherwise by the wizard.

2. Then add the tables same here create the path of the qvds into the variable and load the tables.

Regards,

Anand

Not applicable
Author

Can you please give me steps with screen short.I am new to qlik sense.Till not able to load.Bcos huge data volum in my fact tables.

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Govind,

As you said, what I understand is

1. You are loading all tables at one go. - This may have increased the load time, because Qlik by default makes linking between tables where ever it finds similar field name, so if there are multiple same field name in multiple table, then Qlik will create a synthetic table. So the unnecessary linking is increasing the load time.

2. You are using the Qlik Sense on your local machine. - This may restrict the data which can be loaded, because your machine RAM will be a constraint to load huge data.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

When loading data from multiple tables like this, you generally cannot just dump the data into QS. Sense is not a relational database - it is an associative data model. The data needs to be adjusted to fit the requirements of a Sense model. This might involve renaming certain fields to avoid unwanted associations and not loading fields which are not required for your analysis.

If you have no idea how to do this, you may want to retain a consultant to get you going. Also make sure you have run through enough of the on-line tutorials and other on-line help resources.

And Sense loads and builds data in memory. Open the task manager and check memory use while loading the model. You may be running out of RAM.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
its_anandrjs

Dear Govind,

Read some of this threads.

New to Qlik Sense Videos

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Content/Home.htm

Note:- Better if you create the QVD maker first when you are using the SQL data load. First create the QVD from the tables and then use it for the data model.

Regards,

Anand

manishmadan1
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Hi Guys,

i am unable to see "Attached Files" option under Add data. Am i missing anything.

it just Shows

+ NEW

File location

Shared Files

Data Connection..

it is suppose to show

+ NEW

File location

"Attached Files"

Shared Files

Data Connection..

Thanks, Manish