Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can Qlikview server deployed on a virtual server?

Hi

Hi I am new to QV. My clients would like to know whether Qlikview server can be deployed on a virtual server ?

Regards

Raj

17 Replies
Not applicable
Author

We have been running QV server from a VM for a few years and it has been working ok. We are now in the process of moving it to a 64 bit VM from a 32 bit due to memory requirements.

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Arun

Yes it can be deployed on virtual server.

And make a note that virtualization make qlikview to run slow.

Hope that helps.

Regards

ASHFAQ

colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Raj

I have been running QlikView 9 on a virtual Windows 2003 64 bit server for about a year, with no problems. My only recommendation would be to make sure you have more than one CPU allocated, otherwise performance, especially reloads, can be slow.

Colin.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Asfaq / Kajok,

Suppose my qlikview document in the virtual server extracts data from 3-4 QVD files which are stored locally, then can the data from these multiple QVDs be put into one file and then sent to virtual server instead of having the data from each QVD being sent to the virtual server.

I hope my question is clear...

Raj

Not applicable
Author

Hi Colin,

Suppose my qlikview document in the virtual server extracts data from 3-4 QVD files which are stored locally, then can the data from these multiple QVDs be put into one file and then sent to virtual server instead of having the data from each QVD being sent to the virtual server.

I hope my question is clear...

Raj

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Arun

Yes, You can do that. You can do any sort of transformations on qlikview server.

you can merege all qvd's into one. but have to follow some standard rules.

Hope that helps

Regards

ASHFAQ

colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but you should really be able to store the QVDs wherever you want. What do you mean by putting data from multiple QVDs into one file? What kind of file - a QVD or a QVW?

We use DFS to move QVDs from a number of remote servers to a central server and then create QlikView documents there, as well as creating QlikView documents on the remote servers. There are no issues with moving multiple QVDs to a virtual server.

If you have a number of QVDs that do not have any associations between them then you won't be able to combine those into a single QVD.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Ashfaq / Colin,

Thank you for the information. I have one more question and I would highly appreciate if you could answer it.

Suppose my client has business purpose databases (such as at their payroll, sales, etc.) on their own site and a qlikview server on a virtual server at a remote location in a data center.

In the above scenario, huge amount of data has to be extracted from the local databases to the remote virtual server which could lead to bandwidth overload.

I was wondering if I could have a Small Business Edition Server with 4 CALs on the remote virtual server and have one CAL on the local client site so that instead of sending huge amount of data directly to the remote server, a QVD could be built locally using one CAL and then published to the remote virtual qlikview server to be viewed by other users.

Or

Do you have any suggestion for enhancing performance without bandwidth overload where the Qlikview server in on a virtual and REMOTE platform?

Thanks and Regards

Raj

ashfaq_haseeb
Champion III
Champion III

Hi arun.

I agree with your approach.

Bandwidth consumptions and all comes into consideration when you have compleated your project.

This is the time wherein you can give Exact memory required on server.

As colins said you have to have higher ram. In order to overcome loads.

And I don't think it will take time to reload data on virtual machine even if you are loading data from data center.

Provided they are in same domain and on the same network.

Hope that helps

Regards

ASHFAQ