Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can Qlikview server deployed on a virtual server?

Hi

Hi I am new to QV. My clients would like to know whether Qlikview server can be deployed on a virtual server ?

Regards

Raj

17 Replies
colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

We have a client with much the same setup - 12 remote servers, of which six are in other countries connected by 128k or 256k satellite links, so reducing bandwidth is very important. We have an instance of QlikView running on each server extracting data into QVDs. For large transactional tables we load the existing transaction numbers from the QVDs each night and create new QVDs containing only the new transactions, so we have a QVD per day (or in some cases per week). We have a standalone licence on each server, but you could use a server CAL per server too.

We have Windows DFS running from 7pm to 7am to synchronise the folder we store the QVDs in on each remote server with a corresponding folder on the central (virtual) server. You can also achieve this with batch files using the DOS xcopy command.

As far as enhancing performance goes, make sure the QVDs are as small as possible, only select fields that you need and try to only transfer new or changed data, rather than transferring entire tables of transactions.

Good luck...

Colin.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Colin. I think you have helped me understand most of it. I would like to clear a view doubts though...I might sound silly as I am new to QV

1. Are you aware of any methods to pull the full data set ( and not just the changed or new) data from large transactional databases into the remote QV Server?

2.Is it possible to have one CAL deployed on the server where the large transactional databases reside and use it to create a QVD with full data (not just changed data) and have it accessed on the remote server (where the 'enterprise edition' or 'small business edition server' and other CALs are deployed)?

i.e is it possible for the client to buy for example 5 licences,then have one on the server where the large transactional databases reside to create a QVD to collate data and have four of them on the remote Qlikview server for users.

Regards

Raj

colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

1. No, if you're extracting the full dataset into a QVD, that is about as compressed as you are going to get it. You could try setting up an ODBC connection to your database from the remote QV server and extracting remotely, but we found that extracting the QVDs and transferring those was more reliable.
  2. Yes. If you open a remote server document from QlikView on the transactional server and get allocated a CAL, you will then be able to use that instance of QlikView to extract data. I have a situation where I do exactly that, and it has been running for over a year without me having to reconnect to the server to reissue the CAL.

Colin.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Colin,

In point 2, you have stated that we can allocate a CAL to the transactional server. What I would like to know is:

If the client has bought 5 CALs along with QlikView Small Business Edition Server and deployed in a remote location then would they have to buy another QlikView Small Business Edition Server for the transactional server?

or just use one of their CALs for the transactional server?

The reason I am asking is because I do not know whether the CALs bought can be divided and allocated between two or more servers.

Regards

Raj

colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

No, you wouldn't need to buy another server licence. You would install QlikView Developer on the transactional server and then select Open in Server from the Start Page and connect to your QlikView server. As long as they are on the same network you should be OK. Once QlikView on your transactional server has leased a licence, you will be able to have it running your QVD extraction on that server.

Colin.

gauravkhare
Creator II
Creator II

Hi,

Always follow simple way.. Just fetch those 3-4 qvd's and based upon requirments perform joins(left, right, outer etc) and now store that output into a single qvd...that's it

gauravkhare
Creator II
Creator II

Hi,

Always follow simple way.. Just fetch those 3-4 qvd's and based upon requirments perform joins(left, right, outer etc) and now store that output into a single qvd...that's it

gauravkhare
Creator II
Creator II

Hi,