Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Extraction of data from large databases to remote QlikView Server

Hi,

Could someone tell me how to extract the full data set (and not just the changed or new data) from large transactional databases into a remote QV Server?

Regards

Raj

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I'm doing something similar for our clients. We install a personal edition instance of Qlikview within there network and use an include statement in the script which calls a QVS script that we have generate off site. This script includes all the scripting to extract data from an SQL database and create a QVD file. we then use a combination of ZIPGenius to compress the data files to a single file, and then use CUTE FTP Pro to transfer the files to our data centre using secure FTP.

Once we get them we then use publisher to load them into an app that the client then browses to. Alternatively once you have got the QVD's you can do what you wish with them

Lewis

View solution in original post

5 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Raj,

I'm not sure what you mean. You can set up a QVW to to pull data from a database using a standard ODBC connection and dump the output into QVD format in whatever directory you choose. You can then use Publisher to schedule a reload of that QVD generator. If your server is remote, you would need to make sure that the box that's running QV somehow has access to that server's database such that it can read the data using its ODBC connection. If that's not possible, you would need to set up your database server to dump out the data to a location that the QV server does have access to, and then read it from there.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Vlad,

In the case of having a remote server, would'nt pulling of data from transactional database cause bandwidth overload?

Regards

Raj

Not applicable
Author

I'm doing something similar for our clients. We install a personal edition instance of Qlikview within there network and use an include statement in the script which calls a QVS script that we have generate off site. This script includes all the scripting to extract data from an SQL database and create a QVD file. we then use a combination of ZIPGenius to compress the data files to a single file, and then use CUTE FTP Pro to transfer the files to our data centre using secure FTP.

Once we get them we then use publisher to load them into an app that the client then browses to. Alternatively once you have got the QVD's you can do what you wish with them

Lewis

Not applicable
Author

Hi Lewis,

Thanks a lot for the information. Is it possible for you to provide me with documentation on 'QVS Script', so that I can learn more about it.

Regards

Raj

Not applicable
Author

Raj

With our solution we know what the data structure is so we build the script locally. From the 'Script Editor' you go to File and then 'Export to Script File'. This creates a QVS file for you which is basically your complete script file output as a single text file which is then given a QVS extension.

We create these script files with out any connection details to the data source. Then when we are on site we create a blank app using the personal edition. Within this new app we add to the script the connection string to the data base (as it will then be specific to the local environment). After that we use an include statement (in the 'Script Editor' select the menu options 'Edit' and then 'Include') which then points to the QVS file we created off site.

Hope this helps

Lewis