Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lindybrits
Contributor III
Contributor III

Connecting to the QIX Engine from custom HTML

Hi all!

I would like to write my own front-end code in HTML and Javascript that connects to the QIX Engine and its data.

I have read about the Qlik Engine API and such, but I am not sure how everything fits together? Could someone perhaps help me in the right direction or suggest media to read through?

On this page: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense-developer/3.0/Subsystems/EngineAPI/Content/Prerequisites.htm‌ they say a prerequisite to learning the Qlik Engine API is the Qlik Sense Engine. I have a problem understanding this concept and how to obtain it.

I will appreciate any help!

Kind Regards,

Lindy Brits.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErikWetterberg

Hi Lindy,

There is at least 3 different approaches you could use for this:

1) use the mashup/capabilities API and the createCube call and then create you own HTML from the data you get back. This will be technically pretty close to Qlik Sense client, depend on requirejs and angularjs just like Qlik Sense etc. You also could use Qlik Sense charts if you want too.

2) Use something like the Qsocks library. This is more low-level and has far less dependencies.

3) Use .Net and Qlik .Net SDK

You could of course also build it yourself from the bottom up, working on the websocket level.

Stuff you need to understand:

• the hypercube and how to initiate it with dimensions and measures etc
  • invalidation, subscription etc
  • how to connect to QIX engine and open an app.

Hope this helps

Erik

View solution in original post

6 Replies
reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Lindy,

I would like to write my own front-end code in HTML and Javascript that connects to the QIX Engine and its data.

You can use the Mashups API to do this. As you want to build your own UI, just build your Data model in Qliksense and make use of the Dimensions and Measures to build your own UI on top of it.

Thanks,

Sangram

lindybrits
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sangram

What I really want to do is disconnect the Qlik Engine completely from current front-end applications like Qlik Sense. I am thinking along the lines of using the QVX SDK for creating custom data connectors - and then from there onward work my way to incorporating in in HTML?

ErikWetterberg

Hi Lindy,

There is at least 3 different approaches you could use for this:

1) use the mashup/capabilities API and the createCube call and then create you own HTML from the data you get back. This will be technically pretty close to Qlik Sense client, depend on requirejs and angularjs just like Qlik Sense etc. You also could use Qlik Sense charts if you want too.

2) Use something like the Qsocks library. This is more low-level and has far less dependencies.

3) Use .Net and Qlik .Net SDK

You could of course also build it yourself from the bottom up, working on the websocket level.

Stuff you need to understand:

• the hypercube and how to initiate it with dimensions and measures etc
  • invalidation, subscription etc
  • how to connect to QIX engine and open an app.

Hope this helps

Erik

lindybrits
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Erik

Thanks for the thorough feedback! I have some experience in .NET and it seems like this QSocks looks like a good option.

In terms of connecting to the app, I assume the following:

• The app has to be a Qlik Sense app with the data model built? No front-end needed?
  • The app has to be published and available on a server?

Thanks a lot!

ErikWetterberg

Not applicable

Hey lindy,

I can suggest you a way. But i am confused that what is the URL of QIX engine. How can i get it?