cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craigbence
Contributor III
Contributor III

Connecting two tables from different databases by Month

We are new to Qlik Sense and are trying to find a way to connect two tables (from different databases) on a Month value that differ between the two tables.

Table 1 - Has a "Created On Date" that is a standard date field. We are using the AutoCalendar section for this date (and it works as expected)   (We need to pull monthly Sales $$ from this table)

Table 2 - Has only a field Called "Month" and values like "Apr", "May", Nov", etc. (we need to pull monthly Overtime hours from this table)

Being new to this language, we are struggling to determine a way to Create a Combo chart representing this relationship.

Any coding ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

4 Replies
shwetagupta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Craig,

Though i have some doubts in your question but i would suggest you to use COMMON CALENDAR so that your data will be able to recognise months as a common field for example on selecting August from common calendar you will be able to filter data from both the tables or you can put months as dimension for your combo chart. I expect month in table 2 is also a date field.

I hope common calendar will help you

craigbence
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Shweta for the response. We are not familiar at all with COMMON CALENDAR. Do you have an example?

Thanks again!

shwetagupta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Craig,

You can use the mentioned below link I was following this a time back.

Tutorial - Using Common Date Dimensions and Shared Calendars

i ll give you a brief also

You need to create LinkTables from you fact table.

i.e for example Table 1 has created on date  and Table 2 has a month field. I expect there should also be primary key between these two tables which will help you to connect these table

1. Load Table 1

2. Load Table 2

3. Create a Link table by using Resident (i.e from loaded data) which will have your date field and that primary key. Rename you date field as common date name (any name) 

4. Use script mentioned in the tutorial of calling common calendar.

Example : http://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/tutorial-using-common-date-dimensions

I hope this will help you. Let me know in case of on any doubt.

craigbence
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

This unfortunately did not help us. However, we appreciate the attempt to assist!