Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlik Sense 3.0 - grouping UK postcode geo points into bigger areas

Hello experts

I'm looking for some help with creating a Map chart that represents a measure (sales qty) by area of the UK

Against each row of my sales data is a UK postcode, and I have another table that holds the latitude and longitude of each postcode

My original idea was to plot each postcode as a dimension on a map of the UK (I used GeoMakePoint(lat,long) in my load script, and put the statement 'TAG FIELDS CustomerPostcode WITH $geoname;' in the script) with the bubble size representing the measure.

This worked up to a point - but there are far too many postcodes and geopoints for the built-in limit of the Map visualisation, so the requirement has changed, and now we're looking to represent the sales qty by UK region (administrative region as published at Home | ONS Geography Portal). In my postcode data table I have 'Region' column, but I think I need to turn this into an 'area' to pass into Qlik.

So the question is - can I use the collected lat/long of my postcodes (1 'collection' per region) to create a map area? And once I have those areas can I represent the measure with colour to create a heatmap of the UK?

All advice gratefully received

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It seems Qlik sense uses KML file to create polygon map, and use long/lat to create point map.

There is still no multi-layer map in Qlik sense.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It seems Qlik sense uses KML file to create polygon map, and use long/lat to create point map.

There is still no multi-layer map in Qlik sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks - after a bit more research and experimentation I came to the same conclusion. KML is the way forward.

brunobertels
Master
Master

Hi Jeff

here a kml file :

"There are 124 out codes in the UK postal system. This KML file contains 124 polygons that represent each outcode boundary."

https://www.freemaptools.com/download-uk-postcode-outcode-boundaries.htm

may it helps

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jeff,

In case you need it, the map extension IdevioMaps for Qlik Sense has all UK postal area, districts and sectors built in.

No need to load any kml file, just refer by zip + country code.

uk_custom_drilldown.png

Thanks

Patric Nordström, Idevio

Try IdevioMaps for Qlik Sense, QlikView and GeoAnalytics Connector at QlikMarket or watch the highlights on video.

Not applicable
Author

hi Jeff,

KML file will be the best solution for your concern. It contains LONG and LAT values for whole region,despite of Long and Lat values for GEOMAKEPOINT which visualize bubbles. what you need to do may this KML file and try to cover all the region not matter with value 0.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.