Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where does SharedBasePath get set?

I am moving my QlikView installation to a new server environment and I have spent way too many hours trying to figure out why the framework variables are not being set correctly in the new environment.  SharedBasePath and all the derived paths based on it still point to the old environment when I reload the document scripts. .  The QDF was set up by a consultant and very poorly implemented so I am trying to learn it and clean it up at the same time.  So the normal QDF behavior may not be functioning correctly in our environment.  But knowing how it is supposed to work will at least tell me if I am dealing with standard behavior or a bad setup issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Again Teresa, Shared folders is something that you usually do not need to care about, it just works. Run VariableEditor to validate, if a (correct) shared container does not exist a new one shared container should be generated when pressing Update Map and create Containers.

Capture.PNG

You can also check a line in the ContainerMap.csv file that is needed for shared folders to work. The line looks like this default: Shared,99.Shared_Folders,Common content storage, In this case a container named 99.Shared_Folders must be available.

If you attach the containerMap.csv file under 0.Administration\3.Include\1.BaseVariable I could recreate your containers to get a better picture.

If you still have problems you can download the latest framework deploy tool and update this broken framework, this will replace all the QDF script files.

Best regards

Magnus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Teresa, that does not sound good. First of all the QDF updated only global variables that starts with vG. So the shared variable updating is in your case is vG.SharedBasePath . The QlikView app need to be resided in a container and you need an initiation script in the beginning of all scripts that creates the global variables, it usually looks like this:

$(Include=..\..\..\..\InitLink.qvs);

$(Include=..\..\..\InitLink.qvs);

$(Include=..\..\InitLink.qvs);

$(Include=..\InitLink.qvs);

Please check if the initiation script is running, and if so please check for any errors, if you find anything post this on this thread. Another thing you need a Shared_Folders container to be able to use the vG.SharedBasePath variable so please check that you have this in your new environment as well.

Best regards

Magnus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Mangus,  Thank you so much for your response.

All of the above items you list are in place and correct. 

The include for InitLink.qvs is on the first script tab of the document just as shown.

The folder structure is now compliant with a standard QDF install and has the 99.Shared_Folders directory.  All containers have been created using the Container Map Editor and I am copying the existing .qvws into the clean new folder structure.

(It was not before.  The consultant had copied all of the common folder structures beneath every container  so there was an administration and shared_folders directory inside every container file structure.  They also created the folder structure without using the Container Map Editor.  They just tried to mimic the QDF folder structure by hand.) 

So as an experiment I created a new qvw and added the QDF tab as a clean new document and did a reload to see what variables it automatically created.  When I do that it automatically creates all of the vG. variables without 'shared' in them but does not create any of the vG.Shared... variables.  Do you know why?  Is this a QDF version issue?

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Again Teresa, Shared folders is something that you usually do not need to care about, it just works. Run VariableEditor to validate, if a (correct) shared container does not exist a new one shared container should be generated when pressing Update Map and create Containers.

Capture.PNG

You can also check a line in the ContainerMap.csv file that is needed for shared folders to work. The line looks like this default: Shared,99.Shared_Folders,Common content storage, In this case a container named 99.Shared_Folders must be available.

If you attach the containerMap.csv file under 0.Administration\3.Include\1.BaseVariable I could recreate your containers to get a better picture.

If you still have problems you can download the latest framework deploy tool and update this broken framework, this will replace all the QDF script files.

Best regards

Magnus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I had looked at the Container Map and the Excel file for it several times and missed that I had accidentally overwritten the Variable Prefix for the 99.Shared_Folders with one of the other container values.  I fixed that and it set the Shared variables as it should.  Thank you so much for the screen shot ... and your patience.  I would probably have missed it again if I had not been comparing it exactly as shown.