what is the difference between partial load and

increamental load?

5 Replies
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

Have you read the online help?

Home ‒ Qlik Sense

In what context do you not find them to be different? Do you have an example?

mhmmd_srf
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hey Sunny,

Thanks for sharing those link. Really helpful. Thanks a lot. But, still I got one doubt when I was doing some research on my own.

Lets say we have Customer table. Which had 3 cust yesterday and today 2 have added.

YestedayToday
Cust IDCust NameCust IDCust Name
1Alex1Alex
2Berry2Berry
3Roger3Roger
4Thomas
5Stuart

Now if I use Partial re laod with below script:

Customer:

LOAD [Cust ID],

[Cust Name]

FROM

Customer.xlsx

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Customer);

Customer:

ADD LOAD [Cust ID],

[Cust Name]

FROM

Customer.xlsx

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Customer_New)

where  NOt Exists ([Cust ID]);

Then What would be the difference of result if do Incremental Load. Please clarify my doubt.

Thanks a lot for your help..

Regards,

Sarif

mhmmd_srf
Creator II
Creator II
Author

When to use Partial Load and when to use Incremental Load?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

A partial reload happens in the context of the resident, in-memory data model. It tells Qlik not to drop the complete data model when doing the script reload and do a full reload, but keep some data tables and add / replace data in other tables.

An incremental (or sometimes called Delta) LOAD is a more basic concept which is not limited to the context of the in-memory data model.

For example, it's often used when creating QVDs from source data base tables. You may want to only query the source DB for new, updated or deleted records (in comparison to an existing QVD), not pulling all data in. But your QVD should finally be updated to represent the current state of the DB table.

Here, you can't use a partial LOAD because there is in general no data model that will be kept in memory till the next reload.

Hope this helps,

Stefan