Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shayraber
Creator
Creator

RAM usage by users won't release

Hi all,

I'm facing an issue lately with my QV server deployment.

recently, users tend to get very often an error message saying the server is unreachable (and they can't open documents via access point).

exploring that issue led me to the conclusion is high RAM usage which is solved only by restarting the Qlikview server service.

what I've noticed is that users which opens documents increase (as expected) the RAM usage, BUT when they close the documents the RAM they used is NOT releasing... the RAM usage only keeps increasing and increasing until users can no longer open documents until a restart is being made.

I've read this thread:

RAM usage high

which explains that this is how QV originally designed to work (use every available RAM for better end-user experience) but what if that RAM usage effects badly on other users?

it doesn't seem right to schedule a service restart few times a day...

any other idea? suggestion?

please assist

32 Replies
shayraber
Creator
Creator
Author

hi Andre,

I already do restart once a day...

there is a task process which occurs at 9am. the RAM keeps increasing and increasing when the work day starts, in addition, at 9am the process begins, more users open documents and the memory (which keep increasing and not dropping, even when users leave the documents) reaches to a point where the RAM is about 70GB (out of the 80GB of the machine) which results with users that can't access any document

adamdavi3s
Master
Master

As already advised, change your document timeout to 30mins or something

shayraber
Creator
Creator
Author

as i said before - I'll give it a try (nothing to lose)

what i wonder - regarding the document timeout:

If I open the document and increase the RAM usage - when i close the document and leave the access point isn't it equal to the situation where the document reaches the timeout limit? should the memory i consumed be dropped? is so - then why i didn't see it at the RAM monitor? when i closed the document the the RAM remain at its level prior the document closing

adamdavi3s
Master
Master

shay raber wrote:

when i close the document and leave the access point isn't it equal to the situation where the document reaches the timeout limit?

Nope, the document remains in memory until it times out, its one of the clever bits of Qlik that the document is then there instantly if another user connects.

The system just needs to be managed well so you find the balance between speed of access and RAM usage, the governance dashboard will give you some good metrics to monitor sessions.

shayraber
Creator
Creator
Author

thank you all!

i'll give it a try. reduced the time limit for document timeout to 30 minutes.

let's see if it's help

berkarmagan
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

pls let us know.

marcus_sommer

Which QV release do you use? Earlier with QV 10 we had problems with the RAM releasing from the server (it didn't work as it should) and we re-started te server regulary. But since using QV 11 SR 12 it worked stable - this meant an release upgrade might help.

- Marcus

adamdavi3s
Master
Master

Actually that rings a bell for me at my old place of work which used 10... I am sure I scheduled the QVS service to restart regularly or something

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

Your question does not clearly describe an actual problem. High memory utilization is not per definition a problem, it would rather indicate a high utilization in terms of allow large cache to enable quick calculation times.

The server is expected to stay within the working set limits. What is your working set limit? What amount of physical memory do you have? Is the allocation higher than working set limit(s)?

For best performance and stability, it is recommended to update to the latest Service Release. Which major version and Sr are you currently running?

In a healthy environment there should be no need for daily restarts.

shayraber
Creator
Creator
Author

QV 11.2 SR3