Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shayraber
Creator
Creator

RAM usage by users won't release

Hi all,

I'm facing an issue lately with my QV server deployment.

recently, users tend to get very often an error message saying the server is unreachable (and they can't open documents via access point).

exploring that issue led me to the conclusion is high RAM usage which is solved only by restarting the Qlikview server service.

what I've noticed is that users which opens documents increase (as expected) the RAM usage, BUT when they close the documents the RAM they used is NOT releasing... the RAM usage only keeps increasing and increasing until users can no longer open documents until a restart is being made.

I've read this thread:

RAM usage high

which explains that this is how QV originally designed to work (use every available RAM for better end-user experience) but what if that RAM usage effects badly on other users?

it doesn't seem right to schedule a service restart few times a day...

any other idea? suggestion?

please assist

32 Replies
marcus_sommer

I think you should consider an upgrade. QV 11 latest release is SR 15 and by QV 12 is it SR 5. Take some time to read the release notes and some postings to these topic - if you upgrade within the major-release it's easier and AFAIK the latest releases from QV 11 runs more stable then QV 12 ... but read the release notes.

- Marcus

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

An update to 11.20 SR15 is highly recommended. This will provide great performance and stability improvements. Please make sure to take proper backups, to allow restoring previous version in case of disaster.

shayraber
Creator
Creator
Author

hi Toni,

thank you for the detailed reply.

as for your comments,

Toni Kautto wrote:

The server is expected to stay within the working set limits. What is your working set limit? What amount of physical memory do you have? Is the allocation higher than working set limit(s)?

besides upgrading to SR15 (I'm NOT upgrading to QV12 now as it less stable, as far as i know) here is the current status of my physical memory:

where can I check the working set limit? and how much allocated (if it's higher then the limit or not)?

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

The working set limit is a setting in QlikView Management Console. Look in Performance under the QlikView Server setting. The below link is for QlikView 12 help, but the settings in this area are the same in 11.20.

Performance ‒ QlikView

I think you mentioned somewhere in this thread that the memory allocation gets close to 50GB. Your server appears to have 82GB, so that means you are no where near to use all your resources. There is generally no reason to worry about memory consumption that stays within your working set limit.

The memory is used for the document, ongoing user session and calculation cache. For more detailed studies I would suggest that you read QlikView Server Memory Management and CPU Utilization which describes how memory is allocated, and also explains the memory allocation patterns that you see in Windows Task Manager.

shayraber
Creator
Creator
Author

hi Toni,

the working set limit are 50%-65%

you can see also from my reply above that the total memory is 80GB, available 55GB, Cached 30GB and free 25 GB (at that point)

the users, at other time then the time the screenshot was taken suffer from system unavailability.they get the following message:

restarting the service dropped the RAM usage and issue solved, but that's not the way it should be and i wonder why it happens

marcus_sommer

Your working set settings are not appropriate. 65% max. from 80 GB = 52 GB which meant that your server runs really out of memory. If there are no further processess on the machine which are needed to be (RAM) protected you should increase these setting to 90-95% or instead of this increase the amount of physically RAM.

- Marcus

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

In addition to Marcus recommendation. It is highly recommended to have a dedicated machine for QlikView, so the it can utilize maximum memory and provide your users with best possible experience.

shayraber
Creator
Creator
Author

hi Marcus

what do you suggest?

how much to increase the low limit to? and how much the high limit to?

p.s.

Toni,

the QVS is installed on VM dedicated only for the QV

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

I think Marcus already recommended you to use 90% as lower limit and 95% as upper limit.

A 95% upper limit will represent 76GB, which leaves 4GB for Windows and other processes that your require to run. Will this be enough for your OS and supporting processes?

- If yes, then set the upper limit to 95%, and the lower to 90%.

- If no, then lower the limits from 90-95% accordingly.

marcus_sommer

If there is only the qvs running I would increse the lower limit to 70% and the upper limit to 95% which meant that there are 5% from 80 GB = 4 GB for the OS. If also the qvb is running on the machine it would be depend how much both services could to overlap - Are there only some small update-tasks during the usual business-time and most of the work is done during a nightly time-frame you could set it maybe to 90%. If there is more overlapping you would need to look on them more closely.

- Marcus