Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlines_usacs
Creator II
Creator II

Set Analysis with Set Modifiers and Variables

Hello,

I am trying to use Set Modifiers within Set Analysis by using a variable. Very similar to the "Set Modifiers" portion of this thread. Set Analysis

Using the example below, I want to have 'West coast' and 'South America' replaced with a variable.

sum( <[Sales Region]={'West coast', 'South America'}>} sales)

where $(vExampleVariable) = 'West coast', 'South America' I want to use the following:

sum( {<[Sales Region]={$(vExampleVariable)}>} sales)

I have tried many different ways of writing the set analysis but can't seem to get the correct syntax.

16 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is about Qlik Sense...
There is no variable support in Qlik Sense the same as in QlikView.  You need extensions to use variables on the front end.  I assume the problem here is the limitation of the extension.

So, instead of using a variable here, the full variable definition should be used in set:

sum( {<[Sales Region]={$(=chr(34) & concat(distinct [Field Name], chr(34)&','&chr(34)) & chr(34))}>} sales)

Tested, worked for me.

hlines_usacs
Creator II
Creator II
Author

This did work, however I used chr(39) instead of chr(34).

BUT, I ran into another issue. When I have no current selections for [Field Name] (supposed to show data for all available values), my expression shows as NULL (doesn't show anything), but when I select all the values for that field, it returns a value. Is that normal?

sunny_talwar

Curious to know if you have already tried this

Sum({<[Sales Region] = p([Field Name])>} sales)

hlines_usacs
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I got the same result as my previous comment.

When I have no current selections for [Field Name] (supposed to show data for all available values), my expression shows as NULL (doesn't show anything), but when I select all the values for that field, it returns a value.

sunny_talwar

That should not happen in both the expressions. Would you be able to share a sample qvf where it is happening?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only I can add that it works for me, even if no selections made.  Both my version (with chr(34)) and the one from Sunny.

Question - why don't you use simply sum(sales)?

hlines_usacs
Creator II
Creator II
Author

There are multiple correct answers in this thread but I could only mark one as correct.

I ended up going with the second one listed below, and I had some other code in the expression that caused the table not to show anything unless a selection was made. So my apologies! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

sum( {<[Sales Region]={$(=chr(34) & concat(distinct [Field Name], chr(34)&','&chr(34)) & chr(34))}>} sales)

Sum({<[Sales Region] = p([Field Name])>} sales)