cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cliff_clayman
Creator II
Creator II

Best Practice for filtering reports by variable

I have a variable for Current Year and Previous Year.  I am creating some reports that have a lot of expressions in them that are dependent upon one or both of these variables.  I am trying to figure out what is the best way to filter a report by just Current Year.  Should I used a calculated dimension?  Should I put the variable in each expression?  I want to be consistent and utilize the best practice.  Can someone please explain what is the best practice here?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Not really. If you have a variable that defines "Current Year" in a numerical format (i.e. not as an expression) then you better use something like:

=Sum({$<Year = {$(vCurrentYear)}>} Sales)

This technique will perform a $-sign substitution before evaluating the expression. It allows you to change the value of the Current Year without changing any expression.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Can you post an example of your documents? It is rather difficult to post a best practice for something that is highly context-dependent. Thanks.

cliff_clayman
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I don't think a specific example will make much of a difference.  I'm just looking at it from an overall perspective.

StoreSalesRevenue
1$1,000,000.00$500,000.00
2$2,000,000.00$1,000,000.00
3$3,000,000.00$1,500,000.00
4$4,000,000.00$2,000,000.00
5$5,000,000.00$2,500,000.00

Take something as simple as this.  This data includes values from all years.  I want to be able to limit it to only the Current Year.  Is it best to use a calculated dimension, define the variable in each expression, or some other way?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

IMHO the easiest way to limit a chart to diplay just data for the current year is to use set analysis. But then again, I have no clue what the circumstances are.

cliff_clayman
Creator II
Creator II
Author

So, using Set Analysis, I would always need to define the value for that field.  Something like this...

Sum({$<Year={2016}>}Sales)

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Not really. If you have a variable that defines "Current Year" in a numerical format (i.e. not as an expression) then you better use something like:

=Sum({$<Year = {$(vCurrentYear)}>} Sales)

This technique will perform a $-sign substitution before evaluating the expression. It allows you to change the value of the Current Year without changing any expression.