Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Define an access schedule to a Document

Hi QV Gurus,

I need to know if it is possible and how, to define an access schedule to a document. I need to allow users to open a document in QVS from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM. So that if certain users are logged before 8:00 AM or after 8:00 PM, the document closes all sessions or at least users cannot use it anymore.

Also I was wondering how to define the max session time but I think I found it under System / Setup / QlikViewServers / Performance although I also found something similar at System / Setup / QlikViewServers / Documents, could you tell me what's the difference?

We only have QlikView Server Enterprise Edtion without Publisher nor anything else. We only have CALS, no document, session or ticket licenses.

If it is not possible to do it with QlikView Server, could it be done integrating QVS with IIS?

Thanks in advance.

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Stop the webserver during the time you do not want users accessing the document:

Include below in a batch file and schedule it

@echo off

net stop "QlikView WebServer"

To start it :

@echo off

net start "QlikView WebServer"

Regards,

Dinesh.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for answering so quickly Danish,

I just tested your propossal manually stopping the WebServer service while a user had an active session, but the session doesn't logs off and it was still possible to do selections evend do the service was already stopped. I need that the users can't do anything after the time limit. Is there another way?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You can always use the hammer approach Big Smile

@echo off

net stop "QlikView WebServer"

net stop "QlikView Server"

net stop "Qlikview Management Service"

net stop "QlikView Distribution Service"

net stop "QlikView Directory Service Connector"

net start "QlikView WebServer"

net start "QlikView Server"

net start "Qlikview Management Service"

net start "QlikView Distribution Service"

net start "QlikView Directory Service Connector"

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

... but if you stop them all will also block reloads...

Not applicable
Author

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the reminder, so what else could be done?

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

You could block connections on the server on firewall.

Probably ports 80, 4774 and 4747

---

My first thought about this problem was blocking the services. I was surprised it didn`t work.

Maybe you could try to stop directory services but I'm not sure how it would impact reloads and I don't think it would drop users...

Maybe the QlikView Service... again not sure what would happen to reloads.

-- If you try to select the services to stop, please report your results here too.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Erich,

At first glance I thought about stopping the services too, but we have a problem with that, since for some reason when a service is stopped and restarted it won't work... I mean that Windows Services console shows the service as Running but QEMC shows the service stopped until I go to another tab in QEMC and go back to the services status it'll show as Running again...

I really don't know why this happens. The only thing that may be related to this is that the CC service runs under the machine name, while the other services run on the machine's ip address. This is due to a problem we had after getting an static ip address for the server. At that time the services stopped every time the server was given a new ip address so we gave the server a static ip and tried to change all services to run under it, but the only service we were unnable to change was the CC, so we leaved it under the machine name cause it's the only way it works without problems.

So, to finish... Zip it!

I tried to stop the Web Server as Denish suggested but when I restarted the service it didn't seemed to work until I went to the QEMC and performed the magical routine that solves the problem.

That's why I don't want to stop all services... It would be very troublesome and maybe tragical if the services won't restart.

Regards

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hey Carlos,

You will have to test, but how about restricting the times of access to document using DMS authorization? You have to enable DMS in the Security tab of the server setup configuration. Then go to the Documents -> User Documents and select Authorization tab of the particular document to add users and restrictions.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Karl,

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion does part of the job I need to do, although it doesn't logs off users when the limit schedule is reached, so if a user had log in to a document before that time,  he will be able to continue using the app. I hope QlikTech adds this feature soon.

At least users won't be able to start a new session out of the allowed schedule.

Thanks to all.