Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamdavi3s
Master
Master

simple extension query! function undefined

Dear All,

A simple one I am sure but it has been a long week.

This is the simple code I am wiring for a menu, why do I get a function undefined error for my close / open navs when I click the various items (the click works with a simple console.log)?

html="<div id=''#' + divName' class='sidenav' >  "

html = html+"<a href='javascript:void(0)' id='closebtn' class='closebtn' onclick='closeNav()'>&times;</a>"

html = html+"<a href='#'>About</a>"

html = html+" <a href='#'>Services</a>"

html = html+"  <a href='#'>Clients</a>"

html = html+"  <a href='#'>Contact</a>"

html = html+"</div>"

html = html+"<span style='font-size:30px;cursor:pointer' onclick='openNav()'>open</span>"

/* Set the width of the side navigation to 250px */

function openNav() {

document.getElementById("'#' + divName").style.width = "250px";

}

/* Set the width of the side navigation to 0 */

function closeNav() {

document.getElementById("'#' + divName").style.width = "0";

}

_this.Element.innerHTML = html;

5 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I'm a little rusty here, but shouldn't the HTML definition be:

html="<div id='#" + divName + "' class='sidenav'>"

And the call be:

document.getElementById("#" + divName).style.width = "250px";

I am assuming that divName is a variable.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

I don't think so, purely because it displays OK and even if I simplify the function to a console.log, it won't call it

adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

That isn't to say that you are not correct of course, I just don't think it is the cause (buit I will try it )

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The HTML will work, but I think the div name is actually something like  #'+divName (literally and no leading quote) and getElementById is looking for  '#'+divName (literally and with leading quote). Or at very least, getElementById is returning undefined and then the .style.width properties also undefined....

Anyway, I last did much DOM/js programming about 5 years ago, so I am very rusty

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
adamdavi3s
Master
Master
Author

Yeah I am trying to self-learn it and its a bit of a headache!

So just to simplify it right out:

this works:

_this.Element.innerHTML = "<span style='font-size:30px;cursor:pointer' onclick='console.log(123)'>open</span>"

Whereas this doesn't (testClick is undefined)

_this.Element.innerHTML = "<span style='font-size:30px;cursor:pointer' onclick='testClick'>open</span>"

function testClick(){

console.log(123);

}

So the innerHTML object can't see the function.... I mean I get local and global scope etc within JS but not quite how that fits with the innerHTML element!