Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Export by Dimension

When dealing with large data structures, it seems like an 'Export' option is really only viable if the dataset is within the limitations of the format it is exporting to.. for example, newer version of Excel only support up to 1.1 million rows, and previous versions were only compatible up to 65k or so (memory ceilings I assume).

That said, it seems like a great solution would be the ability to auto-export a table to a format automatically in the script itself.

If I have a pre-built QVD that I want to divide into 3 separate exports (let's just say for argument's sake that it's by 'DIM1' dimension - or a specific site/location), what would be the method to have QlikView script do such a thing?  How do you script a loop to only export the values in the 'current' dimension it is on until it has divded up the table into each respective individual dimension tables?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

No, problem.

Please, check attachment.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

If you check my post at this thread:

http://community.qlik.com/message/113679#113679

There is a sample application to make selections on a field one by one and export a chart to word.

Inside the For-Next structure you could include a different export method according to your need.

Tell if you need some help to understand or adapt it.

Regards,

Erich

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Hi,

I presume that you want to use STORE to a TXT (csv) file in the script. The only way I see is to load each part you want to export to a second table with a filter where clause:

temp:

LOAD *

FROM xyz.qvd (qvd)

Where dimension = 'DIM1';

STORE temp INTO dim1export.txt (txt);

DROP Table temp;

// repeat for DIM2 to DIM3, you could also have a loop here

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

So, a combination of what you BOTH said seems more appropriate.  Part of that has to do with my explanation of the issue, and expected output I'm looking for:

1.  Erich - Your FOR loop looks like it checks for all possible values in a given field, and moves through them until all of the possible field values have been dealt with.  This portion is exactly the kind of behavior I was looking to do...

2.  Ralf - You actually had the exact output and concept I was looking for (where Erich was doing more of an immediate export to Word or similar app).

Now, I need to figure out a way to combine the two concepts... I think with this I should be able to collectively put it together.  If I come up with an exact step-by-step walkthrough, I will most certainly come back and post it. 

Just going to take some time, tweaking, and a little more referencing of the scripting language capabilities. 

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Glad it helped!

If you want to make a loop during script, the syntax will be a bit different.

You can get an example here:

http://community.qlik.com/message/60269#60269

Not applicable
Author

Nope, I'm actually stuck...

So the biggest issue here is that we need to be able to implement the variables in the filenames - in otherwords, as it is pushing through the different possible dimensions (say integers 1-3 are the values possible), it should add that as a portion of the filename.

i.e. :

1.  Look at QVD, and for all rows where site_id = 1, save to SITE_INVENTORY_1.CSV

2.  (loop assumed) Look at QVD, and for all rows where site_id = 2, save to SITE_INVENTORY_2.CSV

... the syntax that you referenced in the other post Erich didn't seem to apply easily to what I was trying to do because of this small detail.

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

No, problem.

Please, check attachment.

rbecher
MVP
MVP

As I wrote, now with loop and your file and field names:

for a=1 to 3

temp:

LOAD *

FROM xyz.qvd (qvd)

Where site_id = $(a);

STORE temp INTO SITE_INVENTORY_$(a).csv (txt);

DROP Table temp;

next;

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D
Not applicable
Author

Why does my version of QlikView not believe that "NoConcatenate" should be allowed to go where it is in your example?

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

The syntax checker in QV 10 doesnot recognize some script code and even expression code when you create some complicated set analysis...