Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsm1234567
Creator II
Creator II

Create master measure using Engine Explorer

Hi There,

I'm running Qliksense 3.02.  When I execute the below code in the engine explorer, I'm expecting to see a new "measure" master item created on the frontend of the application, however, on the frontend a blank measure is created as shown in the attached screenshot (above the "GetMeasure" measure).

Am I misunderstanding how the CreateMeasure method works?  Looking at the documentation, it seems as though it's just a matter of entering the parameters and executing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

{

"handle": 1,

"method": "CreateMeasure",

"params": {

"qProp": {

"qInfo": {

"qId": "Measure01",

"qType": "measure"

},

"qMeasure": {

"qLabel": "Label",

"qDef": "Whatever",

"qGrouping": 0,

"qExpressions": [

""

],

"qActiveExpression": 0

},

"qMetaDef": {}

}

}

}

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Ah, set a tags property on the qMetaDef such as

qMetaDef: {

tags: []

}

It's important to understand that the Engine API is not coupled to the self-service client, the Engine is designed to be client agnostic so the self-service client has some properties that are specific to the client hence you won't find them in the Engine API documentation.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

That is correct, however the Client also sets some client-specific properties that aren't part of the Engine API.

You can see a working example here, different library but you can take the definition out of this example and use it in engine explorer qsocks/measure.js at master · mindspank/qsocks · GitHub

nsm1234567
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Alex,

I now have a measure with a description created using the below request.  Something I've noticed though is that the created measure doesn't have the context menu that measures created in the app have.  Do you perhaps know if this is a limitation of the API, or if there is some other config option for the request that needs to be added?  I've attached images of what I'm referring to.

{

"handle": 1,

"method": "CreateMeasure",

"params": {

"qProp": {

"qInfo": {

"qId": "",

"qType": "measure"

},

"qMeasure": {

"qLabel": "This is a measure created with the Engine API",

"qDef": "Sum(Expression)"

},

"qMetaDef": {

"title": "This is a measure created with the Engine API",

"description": "A Description"

}

}

}

}

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Ah, set a tags property on the qMetaDef such as

qMetaDef: {

tags: []

}

It's important to understand that the Engine API is not coupled to the self-service client, the Engine is designed to be client agnostic so the self-service client has some properties that are specific to the client hence you won't find them in the Engine API documentation.

nsm1234567
Creator II
Creator II
Author

It works!  Hooray!  Thanks so much.  This is gonna save me a ton of time

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Awesome! Since we don't document (yet) client properties a good way is to inspect the traffic to see exactly what kinda of messages we send from the client. If you run the self-service client in Chrome you can pop open the developer tools, go to network and find the websocket connection. From there you can access what they call Frames which is the clear text traffic of what is sent over the socket between client and server, then you can easily create a measure in the client and see exactly what is sent to the server to replicate it.

If you want to move stuff over to code eventually Qlik ships a SDK for .NET but there are also Engine API implementations for Go (https://github.com/mattbaird/glik), JavaScript (https://github.com/mindspank/qsocks) and soon also a Observable implementation in JS once skokenes‌ gets his act together and open sources it

nsm1234567
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks a lot for the extra info.  I've managed to figure out now how to add the measure using the .NET SDK, which is working really well.

My original plan was to use the SenseMeasuresImporter in Qlik Branch, but the source code doesn't compile on the latest versions of the SDK.  It will be really great once the documentation can catch up to the pace of the development happening right now in Sense, and there's still quite a bit of guess-work in terms of what the engine actually wants.

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

It's actually what the Client wants, the Engine don't really understand what "tags" are but persists them anyway.

Yeah, right now we have good documentation around the Engine itself but what we are hoping for is to be able to gather up how the Client is implemented and be able to document that sometime in the future.

The .NET SDK is trying to keep up in general but since we currently do not have a centralized entity schema for the Client sometimes a property is missed there also.