Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jleefjcapital
Creator II
Creator II

growth rates in Qlik Sense

Hello,

I would like to create a new variable in Qlik Sense for growth rates.   As an example of what I'm looking for: 

[Alabama Jobs] is the main field that I'm pulling from an external database-- I would like to compute the period over period growth rate as in column three.   There there a way to hard code this in the data editor ?   

DateAlabama Jobs Period over period growth rate
11.201520026%
12.2015130-35%
1.201625092%
2.2016140-44%
3.2016110-21%
4.2016100-9%
5.20161000%
6.20161000%
7.201618080%
8.201634089%
9.2016249-27%
10.2016200-20%
11.201624221%
29 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Once you've done the homework I gave you and understand the basic idea behind those concepts have a look at the attached qlik sense app. On the second sheet you'll find a pivot table object that uses the above() function and a table object that makes use of the As-Of table and the set analysis expressions. In the Data load editor you can find the piece of script code that creates the As-Of table.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
jleefjcapital
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks, Gysbert. 

I will start with creating a measure for the latest month---

I created this measure, but it's coming up null. 

Sum({$<MonthYear={"Sep2016"}>}BLS_jobs_state) / Sum({$<MonthYear={"Sep2015"}>}BLS_jobs_state)-1

jleefjcapital
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Which date would this newly created measure be associated with?  Is it the latest date,  Sep2016? 

Gysbert_Wassenaar

There are a number of possible reasons your measure doesn't return a result. Can you post a small qlik sense app that shows the problem? That way I won't have to guess.

jleefjcapital
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I'm not able to attach the file. 

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Why not? Do you not know how or for other reasons?

If it's because you don't know how then that's easily solved.

Reply to the discussion from the discussion itself, not from your inbox. After clicking the Reply link a dialog will open where you can enter a text. At the top right you can find the Use advanced editor link. Click on that link to open the advanced editor. At the bottom right you'll find a paperclip icon with a link named Attach next to it. Click on that link to open a dialog that allows you to upload files.

jleefjcapital
Creator II
Creator II
Author

There is no advanced editor link --- Am I looking in the right place?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Like I said:

Reply to the discussion from the discussion itself, not from your inbox

jleefjcapital
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I see.  I've attached the QVF ----the measure is already created titled State jobs_yy% change.

a. (Sum({$<MonthYear={'Sep2016'}>}BLS_jobs_state) / Sum({$<MonthYear={'Sep2015'}>}BLS_jobs_state))-1

Thanks.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Ah, sorry, I'm not going to download 80MB just to have a look. Can you reduce the data so the app still demonstrates the problem, but is about 50 times smaller?