Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

FirstSortedValue and Set Analysis

Folks,

I am struggling with syntax (I think!).

I am trying to look up the age for a particular Qx.  The data is stored like this.

Member AgeQxROWMale

I am calculating the weighted Qx in a calculation and then want to look up the age.   I have the two parts working separately.

I calculate the weighted Qx like this:

(sum({<TrackedQuote={'Yes'},QuoteType-={'Research'},Benefit={'GL'},QuoteStatus={'Issued','Finalised'},

DateQuoteIssued={">=$(=date(vStartDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=date(vEndDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}QxROWMale*SumAssuredUSD)/

sum({<TrackedQuote={'Yes'},QuoteType-={'Research'},Benefit={'GL'},QuoteStatus={'Issued','Finalised'},

DateQuoteIssued={">=$(=date(vStartDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=date(vEndDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}SumAssuredUSD))

(This calculated the SumAssured * the mortality rate and then divides by the Sum Assured for the given quotes)

I can do the look up if I used a fixed value to look up the age.

firstsortedvalue(MemberAge,aggr(sum({<QxROWMale={'>1.05'}>}QxROWMale),QxROWMale,Region))

Both of these work fine - but I am struggling to combine the two things together.  So I need to replace the 1.05 with the answer to the weighted Qx.  How would I do that?  I have tried this, but it doesn't seem to work?

firstsortedvalue(MemberAge,aggr(sum({<QxROWMale={'>$(=(sum({<TrackedQuote={'Yes'},QuoteType-={'Research'},Benefit={'GL'},QuoteStatus={'Issued','Finalised'},
DateQuoteIssued={">=$(=date(vStartDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=date(vEndDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}QxROWMale*SumAssuredUSD)/
sum({<TrackedQuote={'Yes'},QuoteType-={'Research'},Benefit={'GL'},QuoteStatus={'Issued','Finalised'},
DateQuoteIssued={">=$(=date(vStartDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))<=$(=date(vEndDate,'DD/MM/YYYY'))"}>}SumAssuredUSD)))'}>}QxROWMale),QxROWMale,Region))

Anyone able to help?

Chris

12 Replies
shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

Try using variable for this.

Store weighted Qx Expression into a variable and then use that variable at the place of 1.05

firstsortedvalue(MemberAge,aggr(sum({<QxROWMale={">$(=vVariable)"}>}QxROWMale),QxROWMale,Region))

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Shraddha,

Many thanks for your reply.

I need this to be at a region level so I can show the data as follows:

Region            Average Age        Weighted Age       Qx Weighted Age

Asia                         38.1                    39.8                         40.6

Middle East             36.2                    37.7                          39.1

Europe                    40.9                    42.3                          44.1

I have the first 2 columns, and it is the last one I am working on.  Unfortunately, the way the calculation works is not a simple aggregation of the data - you need to work out the Sum Assured * Mortality and then divide by the Sum Assured to get the average mortality rate, then look up that rate in a table to get the age.  As I said above I can do each bit in turn, but when I bring them together I get in to trouble!

Can a variable be used if it is split by a dimension, or is it a single value?

Many thanks

Chris

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

variable will b a value calculated according to the region value in 1st column and that value will be used in first sorted expression.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your help so far...getting closer.

The variable is defined and used in the table below to show the 'SA and Qx' column,

but when added to the Qx column is returning nulls.

Ages.jpg

The formula is now:

firstsortedvalue(MemberAge,aggr(sum({<QxROWMale={'>$(=vWeightedQx)'}>}QxROWMale),QxROWMale,Region))

I have tried with both single and double quotes but neither work.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

shraddha_g
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

Have you checked whether variable is returning correct value?

sunny_talwar

Would you be able to share a sample with the expected output you are looking to get?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your response.  Yes the variable is working fine - I have used it to populate the column "SA and Qx" above, and I have spot checked some of the values and they seem to be correct.

But when I spot the variable in the formula the column "Qx" seems to be returning nulls as above?

Cheers

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sunny,

Thanks for your response.

What I am trying to do is use the variable that results in column "SA and Qx" in the table above, and look up the highest age over that amount from a table that is effectively :

MemberAge           QxROWMale

45                           0.968

46                           1.069

47                           1.181

48                           1.271

So for Hong Kong, where I have a variable answer of 1.11 I need to return the MemberAge 47.  In the case of Singapore in the table above, I need to return 48.

All suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Chris

sunny_talwar

Since you are doing a row by row comparison, I feel like you would need to use Aggr() function instead of using set analysis because set analysis is evaluated once per chart. It won't be able to pick 1.11 for Hong Kong and 1.26 for Singapore.

May be like this:

Min(Aggr(If(QxROWMale >= vVariable, MemberAge), Area, Region, MemberAge))