Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using pre-defined Expressions

Hi,

I need to use pre-defined Expressions of a chart in other expressions, to form new columns, but the problem is that the pre-defined expressions don't have straight forward names/labels like 'Sales' or 'Total'.

The Expression Label is also an expression.

What other way is there to identify an expression in a chart's list of expressions.

I might be imagining things, but I'm sure there is still a way to use these expressions in other expressions, something like [Expression 1] + [Expression 3].

Please help. I simply can't use the expression part of the expressions as it is just too long.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Hesten

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

I would recommend that you use Erich's suggestion since it is a bit more sofisticated, and adds more control to what you are doing.

However there is a function called Column() that you can use in order to get column values.

Column (ColumnNo)

Returns the value found in the column ColumnNo in a straight table or a pivot table.

There is

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

Not really following what you are trying to accomplish. Please provide sample data and QVW to make it easier to analyze your problem.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Toni,

Let me break it down:

I have a Straight table chart. The Chart contains 5 complex expressions. I now want to use the expressions to create a new expression. The problem is that the existing expressions' labels are also expressions for example: "=max(Year)&' YTD Sales'".

Instead of me having to copy and re-use the 'expression scripts' from the existing expressions, I want to use a label, id or some sort of name for the existing expressions so that I can create a new expression.

For example: If I have 2 existing expressions named 'Sales' and 'Qty', I can now go and create a third expression 'Sales Price' and use the existing expressions' names for the calculation in the third Expression:

=[Sales]/[Qty]

Because, in the chart that I am busy with currently, the expression labels are also expressions, I can't seem to use the same logic.

So I am looking for another way to identify an existing expression, something like column1 or expression1, or an ID of some sort.

Does something like that exist?

Please advise.

Kind Regards-

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

I'm not sure if I understood you too, but maybe you need something like this.

Go to settings, expression overview and create a new variable there:

vExpression1

for this variable you write the expression you want:

= sum(VALUE)

Then, you use the expressions you create on your chart by evaluation this

The expression on your chart will be:

=$(vExpression1)

This way, after you create may variables, you can just create more complicated formulas:

=$(vExpression1) + $(vExpression2)- ($(vExpression3)  /$(vExpression4)

Hope it helps,

Erich

EDIT: You may also create expressions for your labels

vLabel1 = max(Year)&' YTD Sales

Then on the expression label box write: =$(vLabel1)

Not applicable
Author

Hi Hesten,

You can use variables to store the expressions and then use them in the chart expressions if you want to use those pre-defined expressions in multiple charts.

You can also load such expressions from an excel file. Find attached an example excel files with many expressions I am using at different charts.

Best Regards,

Sajeevan

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

I would recommend that you use Erich's suggestion since it is a bit more sofisticated, and adds more control to what you are doing.

However there is a function called Column() that you can use in order to get column values.

Column (ColumnNo)

Returns the value found in the column ColumnNo in a straight table or a pivot table.

There is

Not applicable
Author

Thanks guys.

If these are my options, I will take a look at which one works better.

Thanks again.

Regards,