Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Simple reports from MySQL on AWS RDS

Very new to Qlik..

I have a couple of simple tables on a MySQL and thought I can use Sense Cloud to prototype some reports instead of my current Workbench->excel workflow.

I have my account setup but I cannot see how to connect to a MySQL source. Is it possible in Sense cloud? if yes how, if no, what is product do I need?

(on a mac)

11 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Connection to Database in not available in Cloud version.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

ok.. so what is the right approach for my use case?

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can upload the files(Excel,CSV,TXT) on Cloud and then use them.

Again there is a limit on the overall size of the file. If you want you can go for licensed version where you dont have limitation.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

kaushik.solanki‌ I get it, Sense Cloud is usless for my use case, so the question is not what I can do with Sense Cloud the question is how do I get what I need done with Qlik products, or should I just focus on the competing products such as Tablue and AWS QuickSights?

So the question is still: How do I connect to MySQL DB and with which Qlik product.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Hernan,

Welcome to the Qlik Community I'm happy to help.

You would use Qlik Sense Desktop (Free) or Qlik Sense Enterprise server (Licensed paid) - you can then connect using the provided ODBC connector. If you have MySQL Enterprise Edition, you can use the specific Enterprise Edition connector:

Below is a video that shows you how to connect to data using ODBC connector pack (which is now included with Desktop so no need for a separate install)

Loading ODBC and OLE DB Data (video)

HOWEVER - if you are using MySQL Community Edition - you would need to use the Generic ODBC Connector and setup an ODBC system DSN - I outline the process in this video (using MS Access as an example)

Loading MS Access and other ODBC Data (video)

Hope this helps, let us know how you do.

When you get a chance check these out in more depth:

New to Qlik Sense Videos

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

thanks for the thoughtful reply.

quick problem: I am on a Mac, so the download of the desktop app seems to not be an option (windows only it seems?), so that leaves me with no quick/free way to evaluate this product?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Ah darn! - you are correct. The only other way would be to use a Windows VM on Mac. Capabilities like what you are looking for (Cloud -> on premise data), are in discussion for Qlik Cloud for later next year.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solition. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

My use case is not Cloud -> on premise, it is Cloud -> Cloud.

I am trying to use data on a AWS RDS MySQL something that other systems such as Periscope and Tableau can connect to.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

I see, thanks for the clarification, I missed the RDS AWS in the titl of the discussion.

Cloud-based data sources are coming to the Qlik Sense Cloud - with our first one being Salesforce for example, others will follow but I don't have a time-frame.

Currently we would be able to connect to those sources with Qlik Sense Desktop and Enterprise only.

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik