Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView Personal Edition error - recover required on the same PC

Hi All,

for the second day in a row, it seems that QV is changing my Personal Edition Key.

QV problem.jpg

Nothing is changed: same PC, same QV, same Network

What can I do to prevent this error in the future? obviously the risk is to loose the right to open the file I have created

"Buy the full license" is not the answer I am looking for , at least for now

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The software is pretty reliable. This is a limitation of the Personal Edition version of QlikView Desktop.

If your company is serious about using QlikView for its BI & Analysis needs, consider contacting a Qlik Partner and ask for a time-limited evaluation license. That license has none of the PE limitations.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

11 Replies
robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Do you have a personal Edition key (license)?

In this case, contact Sales at Qlik.

Otherwise, if you are trying to open application not created with your app you will get this error.

Not applicable
Author

this is the main point, the alert pop up when I try to open files that I created

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

You usually have 4 attempts to recovery attempts.

You have only two left.

Did you open any file not created by you?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You've used up two recovery attempts. Each time you use a recovery attempt the license key of your QV PE installation changes and documents you created earlier can't be opened without another recovery attempt because those older documents still have the old license key embedded.

I don't know why you were prompted the first time with the question to recover the document. Perhaps it was a document created with another QV installation.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

The main point is that I have never opened a file created from a different PC

Not applicable
Author

Nope

Not applicable
Author

This morning I had the same problem when I switch on my PC

This time was the last recovery attempt, I didn't accepted

Fortunately, I rebooted the PC and when I opened the file again everything was fine

I can't find "a rule" for the error, but sometimes occurs

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Is some network driver or VPN software messing with the identity or MAC-address of your prime network interface?

Note that the basic information for generating unique PE keys is unknown/undocumented. You've probably already seen the multitude of PE-problem reports in this community. You should consider the cost of losing your QlikView applications versus the cost of simply buying a Local Client license. The Personal Edition version of QV Desktop was only intended to give people a chance of evaluating the features of QlikView. It's still a demo version with a limited - albeit vitual - lifetime.

Not applicable
Author

I understand the logic behind the demo version and I am really aware of the cost of loosing my QV apps

Unfortunately I cannot take the decision to buy a QlikView licence, but I am persuading my boss to have a couple

Honestly this problem is not helping me... it seems that the sw is not reliable