Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee

Improving Governance / Monitoring Apps in Sense (Operations Monitor, License Monitor)

Calling all Qlik Sense user, admins, and experts -

As the developer of the Monitoring apps (Operations Monitor and License Monitor), I am continually seeking insightful feedback and input from the field. I want the apps to provide the most value possible, so I ask your help.

For all who have installed and used Qlik Sense - specifically the QMC - what is your impression of the Monitoring (aka Governance) apps? Do you use them? If so, why? What is valuable to you?

What is missing?

What is unclear?

Anything unhelpful that could be cleaned up?

If you do not use them, why not?

I appreciate your time and thought!

Thanks! Gracias! Obrigado! Tack!

Tyler

Closed conversation - please refer to Qlik Monitoring and Administration topic group (QlikCommunity) 

40 Replies
Not applicable

For all who have installed and used Qlik Sense - specifically the QMC - what is your impression of the Monitoring (aka Governance) apps?

After reading the documentation, the app makes sense. I think the documentation needs more definition of the metrics. But it is a great resource to monitor operations.

Do you use them?

I am new to Qlik Sense and just started to use the Monitoring APP

If so, why? What is valuable to you?

It could be useful to me in that our IT staff blocks my access to QMC when it comes to production. This then would only by my only source from a management perspective to see what is going on.

What is missing?

As I mentioned in previous reply, monitoring of sheets and objects access by the user. Create a similar visualizations as was done in the Session Overview sheet, except quantifying user and object they access, time duration and any delays experienced. Most frequent used sheets or ability to flag sheets with objects that present user with long duration to retrieve.

What is unclear?

For an analyst perspective, I am not clear about the detail log, the some of the errors and how to read into them. Got a Severity Error displayed in the Operations APP but no Service Message.  It appears the environments were functioning well but do not know the source of the error.

Anything unhelpful that could be cleaned up?

I think you have done a great job.

I just had to create my own dashboard and link to your sheets, to give the users a one stop all experience.

If you do not use them, why not?

License App - IT controls this - I do not think I need to in my role.

Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee
Author

jlopez1985  Thanks for the feedback.

We are working on getting the user audit logging available to analyze, but unfortunately that is not in Sense now. No delivery target date yet either

And yes, some of the logging is certainly unclear. It's difficult to know how to clear it up or explain all of it, but we are discussing the issue more broadly as we go forward.

Tyler

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Tyler,

Is it possible to know at Monitoring Apps (Operations Monitor or License Monitor), how users are connecting to Qlik Sense?:

- which was the device that user used to get connected? (tablet, mobile, laptop, ...)

- which was the OS that user used to get connected? (android, ios, ...)

- which was browser (and version) that user used to get connected? (safari, firefox, chrome, ...)

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee
Author

Unfortunately there is not currently a way to see the device, OS, or browser used to access an app on the Hub.

Olip
Creator
Creator

Hello Tyler- We have the following requirements for our client. Please let me know if the existing can be tweaked for the same or if there's something already available:

• Track daily trend on QVDs which shows load time,total no of records & size
  • Trend on QVDs usage and similar trend over time

Thanks,

Alip

- Eager to learn n grow,

Olip
Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee
Author

Thanks alip.nath‌ for the input.

We currently do not have load time for QVDs readily available, though if you have a single qvf that creates a single QVD, you could use the reload time for that qvf reload task to get an idea.

Similarly, we do not have the total number of records or size of the QVDs currently in the Operations Monitor.

What do you mean by "QVDs usage"? Do you mean how often is a QVD referenced (loaded by) a load script? If so, this bit of data lineage is also currently missing in Sense.

Olip
Creator
Creator

Thanks Tyler for your response.

Yes indeed we are looking at data lineage and other related information as I mentioned in my post here.

Also, by QVD usage we wanted to find how often the data QVDs are accessed by different users/applications.

- Eager to learn n grow,

Olip
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned from other users, but one thing we desperately need is the ability to see when a Login Access pass will be made available for that Login Access Rule. For now we can only see how many of the passes have been used, not how many are on their way to returning back to the pool. So for example if I've designated 50 Login Access passes to HR and 30 of them have been used. It would be great to know that I can expect 4 of them to be available again tomorrow, another 8 available in 3 days, the next 5 will be available a week from today, etc. Has that been added to any of the newer releases? Currently we are on version 2.1.1.

Thanks

Tyler_Waterfall
Employee
Employee
Author

notbuyingit - In 3.x and forward the License Monitor app pulls data from the QRS database regarding "remaining passes" for login access rules so you get a sense of what has been used and what is left alongside the historical data.

There is also a token usage timeline which gives a rolling view of tokens used. With login access you could view the usage and get an idea visually of when the passes will come back available.

This is not exactly showing token availability dates as you describe, but might provide the direction you need.

Not applicable

Thanks Tyler. Is there somewhere I can see an example of what you're referring to with License Monitor enhancements in 3.x versions? I haven't been able to find snapshots or examples of the app in the newer version yet. Right now on our 2.1.1 we can see the tokens used and amount remaining, but it doesn't clarify exactly when the next ones will become available. From your description it sounds like this is the same feature in the 3.x versions, but maybe seeing it will help me understand the enhancements and how they could help.