Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shyamcharan
Creator III
Creator III

System Requirements suggestion

Hi Experts,

We are currently handing couple of dashboards that are around 800 MB. This is for one department.

Our current system configuration is as below:

RAM: 64 GB

Cores: 4

Hard Disk : 250 GB

Windows 2012 Server R2

Around 100 Users.

However, going forward we would have additional 200-400 users and dashboards for 4 more departs and they could be around 20.

Each of these dashboards could be again around 500 MB.

Do I need any upgrades in the system/hardware and softwares?

I appreciate if you suggest on this or provide any info that can help me gaining the knowledge.

I appreciate your help here. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shyam.

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

You will need to estimate how many of users will be access which applications at the same time and what they are doing with them. A rule of thumb says that you need the uncompressed application-size + 10% for each concurrent user from a RAM point of view:

20 departs * 5 dashboards * 500 MB = 50 GB (if the apps are compressed you need to multiply this with 😎

50 GB * 10 % * 500 User = 2500 GB

That's a very simple calculation for the max. case you described - in the real life it will be much less - maybe only 10% of this - but I think it showed that 64 GB won't be enough. Also 4 cores aren't enough to serve all users.

- Marcus

shyamcharan
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Marcus,

Thank you very much for taking time to reply and suggest on my request.

I have gone through the QlikView scalability document and below is the calculation I could make based on that formula.

Formula

RAM = (RAMuser × No. users) + RAMinitial

Where
RAM?initial = QVWsizedisk × FileSizeMultiplier; This is the initial RAM footprint for any application
RAM?user =?RAMinitial × userRAMratio; This is the RAM each incremental user consumes
QVWsizedisk = SourceData × (1 - CompressionRatio); This is the size, on disk, of a QlikView file
Assumptions: userRAMratio: range between 1%–10%
FileSizeMultiplier: range between 2–10

My future case:

SourceData : 100GB
CompressionRatio : 90%
FileSizeMultiplier: 4
userRAMratio : 5%
No. of concurrent users: 15

QVWsizedisk = 100GB × (1 - 0.9) = 10GB
RAMinitial = 10GB × 4 = 40GB
RAMuser = 40GB × 5% = 2GB
Therefore, the RAM footprint to support 30 concurrent users in
this deployment would be: RAM = (2GB × 15) + 40GB = 70GB

However, based on my actual scenario, I did a partial calculation as follows and this is for one application and considering 15 concurrent users from one department:

QVWDisk size(This is the actual size of the document on my disk):600MB or 0.6GB

FileSizeMultiplier: 4

userRAMratio : 5%

No. of concurrent users: 15

RAMinitial = 0.6GB × 4 = 2.4GB

RAMuser = 2.4GB × 5% = 0.12GB

Therefore, the RAM footprint to support 15 concurrent users in

this deployment would be: RAM = (0.12GB × 15) + 2.4GB = 4.2GB

I am assuming, Even if I have additional 10 such applications with same scenario

RAM= 10*4.2GB=42GB

Please correct me if I am doing a wrong calculation.

Regards,

Shyam.

marcus_sommer

I think your calculation is correct and your environment will be enough for your actual scenario and quite probably for the next few extending-steps. I assume that expanding to more dashboards, departments and users will happen over several steps so that you will have enough time to monitor the consumption and you could upgrade the environment timely.

Beside them I would simplify one step and disable any qvw-compression so that the filesize on disc is the same in RAM and you saved valuable time which the overhead compression does need - compression saved only discspace and had otherwise only disadvantages.

- Marcus

shyamcharan
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks heaps Marcus.

Your suggestions and replies did boost my confidence.

Regards,

Shyam.