Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Drill down and grouping dimensions

Good afternoon,

I'm relatively new to Qlik and by watching the demos and mto‌'s videos I've been able to create some dashboards. I'm playing with the drill down and grouping dimensions and was wondering if they can be used combined in the same chart?

Using the cars data set of the grouping video, I'd like to create a bar chart starting with a grouped dimension called manufacturer (using the wildmatch command), and drill down to the specific name of the car. I was able to create both grouping and drill down dimensions but when creating the chart, I can not find the grouping dimension on the options displayed, only the original dimensions of the data set.

I'd appreciate if someone can help me with this.

Regards.

Luis

12 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Just do following:

Create Drill down by adding:

• first dimension - Country
  • Second dimension (here click on fx icon (in line where you put name, right next to X icon) and enter there your long "if (Wildmatch ...)"  expression. Thath expression will replace Name field

• dd+ctry-mfg.JPG

see if this works

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Not applicable
Author

Just made it and works perfectly!

A formatting question: since the expression is written next to the F(X), it is displayed at the bottom of the chart. I guess there is no way to show a label instead of the whole expression, right?

dd ctry-mfg3.JPG

As you can see I also made the chart with the subfield command which works too, just that this really depends on the formatting of the data. In this case all the fields have the manufacturer first and then the model; if any field wasn't like this, then it wouldn't have worked with subfield.

In the case of the wildmatch command, I didn't have that many different manufacturers, therefore it was easy to write the expression; otherwise it would've been complicated.

Thanks for all your help bro!

Pura vida from Costa Rica!

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Label in this case is difficult to do. The only way is to use your Wildmatch fucntion on script to create proper/separate field in your data model for manufacturer dimension. This should also be your good practice. You do not really want calculated dimensions as they make Labeling harder and also apear ugly in current selection bar.

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.