Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting Conditional Dimensions

I am building a straight table with conditional dimensions based on the "Whats New in QV11" example.  But I am finding that I cannot control the sort.  Even looking at the QV example (tab: Reports) it does not seem to work.

Is anyone else experiencing this and do you have a workaround?

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Updating this, I submitted this issue to QlikView Support.  They haven't confirmed it yet but the word is that this is a bug related to the use of conditional dimensions.  I will keep this updated as I get confirmation or workaround.

So for now, be aware of this issue when using conditional dimensions.

Not applicable
Author

I'm also 'fighting' with this sort issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It was aknowledged as a bug 12/20/11.  Hopefully the first service release will address it.  It is a shame.  Such an awesome feature that makes an upgrade completely worthwhile, rendered useless because you can't sort the report. 

Not applicable
Author

hi Aaron,has sr2 solved this problem? It puzzles me a lot!

Not applicable
Author

There is a workaround:

For each of the conditional dimensions:

1. Put the condition in some variable. E.g. you have dimension "City", you could have a variable vShowCity (if vShowCity =1, dimenson City should appear).

2. Use the variable in calculatiing the dimension in calculated dimension. E.g., the calculated dimension "City" should look like =if(vShowCity =1, City).

3. Use the variable to show/hide the dimension column (in chart properties Presentation tab).

pennetzdorfer
Creator III
Creator III

I'm struggling with this issue when using conditional dimensions in a bar chart.

I want to conditionally display Dimension 1 or Dimension 2.

Qlikview lets me sort by Y-value for Dimension 1 but not for Dimension 2.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Unfortunately your workaround doesn't apply here as the presentation tab of bar charts doesn't offer a "Conditional" input field.

Is there any other approach? For my simplified example (please find the attached qvw) I could simply add "Sort by expression" sum(Value).

But in my real life chart I also have some complex conditional expressions. Sort by Y-value would the neatest way ...

Regards,

Florian

pennetzdorfer
Creator III
Creator III

Does anybody have an idea?

Regards,

Florian

mneidlinger
Contributor II
Contributor II

I know this is an old post but I ran into this issue recently and was able to create a workaround that worked in my specific application.  I created a calculated dimension with the nested dimensions listed so you only have one dimension that can be sorted by the 'Y' value. 

Hope this helps.

Mike