Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Cumulative Product in Qlik Sense

Hi all,

A short question. For my project in Qlik Sense I have compute the cumulative product of a certain time series. As far as I know the way to calculate the cumulative sum is done by rangesum( above( sum([Expression1]),0,rowno())). Perhaps a variation on this expression can be made to compute a cumulative product?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sebastian

Correct answer provided by Sunny T (somewhat easier expression):

Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log(([Expression1]), 0, RowNo())))

19 Replies
sunny_talwar

Although I am confident about this, lets take a second opinion from the expert (since I see he is already on the community right now). swuehl‌ can you take a look at the expression I provided?

Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log((100+Stock1)/100), 0, RowNo())))/Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log((100+Brazil)/100), 0, RowNo())))-1

sunny_talwar

Works in Qlik Sense also

Capture.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Sound! It seems more than correct. The difference in visualization could also be very good an issue with the data I am provided with. Please give me a day and I'll come back with you. I have to verify my data set and your suggestion with a colleague who is absent today from work.

I cannot state how much I thank you for your help. I am struggling with this "simple" problem for a while now and hopefully we've found the correct solution.

sunny_talwar

Take your time my friend and trust me this is not a simple problem by any means....

Best,

Sunny

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny T,

Thank you for your patience. The last few days I have tried to figure out what the 1 to 2 % difference in results caused. I am convinced this is data and not formula related. Results are looking great for all the stocks which have a correct data set.

I would like to thank you very much for your effort. This was an important task for me to fix. Now I can focus on retrieving correct data for the missing numbers. I have the difficult task to list one of your answers as correct. Do you have a preference? I think this should be the correct one. The one where you started with...:

Try this expression:

Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log((100+Stock1)/100), 0, RowNo())))/Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log((100+Brazil)/100), 0, RowNo())))-1

As I haven't seen the solution for a cumulative product come by yet on this forums, I think this could hopefully help many others as well. My final solution is a dynamic one and looks as follows (making it a percentage):

=100*(Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log((100+[$(=Mapping_Sedol)])/100), 0, RowNo())))/Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log((100+[$(="Mutation Country")])/100), 0, RowNo())))-1)

With kind regards,

Sebastian Heselaars

sunny_talwar

Sure, I think that makes sense . Also, you can always mark helpful responses which you think might come in handy for others to view also.

Qlik Community Tip: Marking Replies as Correct or Helpful

Best,

Sunny

Not applicable
Author

A slightly easier variant to my question which is perhaps more understandable to others is that a cumulative product can be calculated as:

Exp(RangeSum(Above(Log(([Expression1]), 0, RowNo())))

Credits to Sunny T for coming up with the solution.

sunny_talwar

Agreed!!

I also want to thank you for your detailed response after getting your task accomplished. A lot of the times we help others and people don't even come back or don't do a good job of explaining what actually helped them in the end. I feel that if each of us (both poster or respondents) provide detailed information, we are going to make this community a much better place.

Best,

Sunny

Not applicable
Author

I agree with you for more than 100%. Qlik Sense is an amazing visualization tool with much potential. Together we can make it an even better product.

brunohop
Contributor
Contributor

This post help me very much.

Another way, is 

Exp (RangeSum (below (Log ([expression]), 0, NoOfRows ())))

This mulitply all columns