Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Has anyone created an OPPE (Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluation) application?

We are evaluating the utilization of Qlik to create an OPPE reporting tool. We wonder if anyone else out there has done this and what types of issues they ran into with development and deployment.

13 Replies
Margaret
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Jeff,

We're open to new metrics, as the ones we have been using have been limited because we didn't have Qlikview. So I'd be interested in what you are measuring.

But at this point we are having trouble attributing things to specific physicians. e.g.:

1. How many surgeries has a provider performed? - right now we're getting surgeries attributed to pathologists and other non surgeons, and surgeons doing only 2 cases in a year when ancient Meditech reports show they've done 220
  2. If there was an accidental laceration during the surgery, who did it? Right now we can associate providers with surgeries and lacerations with surgeries but not providers with lacerations.

We've asked Meditech for help but they are very slow to respond (weeks, months).

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

jslancas
Contributor II
Contributor II

Margaret,

Currently, our main clinical EHR includes a surgical module, so I'm not sure if this will be very helpful to you... We do have a fair amount of surgery-specific information that we maintain, but have focused on robotic surgery metrics in order to evaluate the utilization of existing surgical robots, as well as project the need for additional robots in the future.  Some of our metrics include robotic cases by surgeon and procedure, as well as length-of-stay for those procedures and where our volume is coming from (patient zip code).  We're also trying to compare non-robotic procedures to their robotic equivalents and although we have made some progress in some areas, this has proven very difficult to due a lack of understanding on how to equate robot/non-robot procedures for many types of surgeries (hernias, colon procedures, etc.).  We have not delved into accidental lacerations and tracing those back to specific surgeons. 

In terms of linking physician practice and hospital system EHR data sets- we link them within a QlikView application at the patient level, based on SSN, CPI, full name and/or a combination of name/address.  That allows us to see some downstream results of patients that visited our physician offices (although a number of assumptions are made in order to do this). 

QlikView has been an instrumental part of our decision-making process, as it has allowed us to bring together several disparate data sources for meaningful reporting and process improvement/BPM (business process management).

Does this help at all?

Not applicable
Author

Hi I just joined the Qlik community and was researching something else for a work project but happened into this group because my background is in Healthcare quality and regulatory compliance.

I have built OPPE and Performance Improvement (compliance and audit) systems from the ground up in ambulatory settings. The most recent being a few years back, that was deployed across 5 hospitals in a large system.

The problem  as others have mentioned is having a single source of agreed upon measures and dimensions, you will find they will diverge and branch over time in each setting (e.g. Hospital A vs Hospital B) and so you must account for that in the scalability and flexibility of the design. In this sense it is good to have Quality execs driving as well as a steering committee for consensus.

As to Qlik I am still very new to it but getting up to speed very rapidly.

For reporting OPPE you need 1 repository, you should be able to do everything you need in MS Access if budget is a concern, front end would support reporting as well.

Qlik has plenty of functionality around connecting to data sources, ODBC, MS SQL etc. But like anything, specifically quality reporting you need to ensure you avoid GIGO scenario's. If you have ever been caught on the other end of a meeting with Physicians and the data is faulty you will know why this is important.

There are a few software providers that have OPPE/Quality modules that are really good, The Advisory Boards, Crimson comes to mind, they are fantastic to work with I have PM'd 2 hospital implementations with them

bhavvibudagam
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Jeff,

I am looking for how to pull Meditech data into Qlikview.Means I want to know

1) which API calls to use to retrieve data directly out of 'Meditech'?

2) Is there any connector already available to pull into QlikView?

Please help me.Thanks