cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sanchayan
Creator
Creator

Understanding Configurable LDAP

I read the part of Configurable LDAP from server reference manual as well as from Qlik help but the settings of Configurable LDAP are not clear to me. How does Confiurable LDAP help in authentication of the users and also it would be helpful if the setting configuration is explained to me in a easier manner.

Thank and regards,

Sanchayan

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

An LDAP server contains information about users. When a user wants to access a Qlikview document via Qlikview Server then Qlikview Server will need to ask somewhere if the user is who that user says he is. That is called authentication. The user will present an encrypted password and Qlikview Server will ask the user directory, for example your LDAP server, if that user is known to that LDAP server and if the encrypted password matches with the information the LDAP server has about that user. When all is right the LDAP server informs the Qlikview Server that the user is who he says he is, i.e. an authentic user.

The settings are what's necessary to let the Qlikview Server communicate with the LDAP server. Can you tell us which settings you don't understand?

Perhaps you should read a bit about LDAP itself first: https://www.ldap.com/getting-started-with-ldap

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
sanchayan
Creator
Creator
Author

I know that LDAP is a TCP/IP protocol which is used to communicate with directory services like Active Directory Domain Service. But in case of Configurable LDAP with which Directory service is LDAP communication required?

Settings which I didnt understand are :

• Account Name Property Name
  • Group Object Class Value
  • Directory Label
  • ID Property Name
  • User Object Class Value
  • LDAP Filter
Gysbert_Wassenaar

But in case of Configurable LDAP with which Directory service is LDAP communication required?

The LDAP server you want to use for the purpose of authenticating your user.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi Sanchayan,

Per your questions, to me, it seems you need to discuss them with the LDAP admin in your organization, as they will likely be able to either inform you of what needs to be entered for the LDAP DSP settings or enter the information themselves.

- Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!