Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Trouble with a nr. of apps - same procedure as ...

Hi,

I am having some trouble with a number of QlikView_apps again - many of them fail regularly, with different errors, but many of them don't even start and don't have a current document_log.

I will not be able to do much about this, the reasons are external as always, QlikView is hosted on the company_server to which (as main QlikView_responsible) don't have access and QlikView is not supported by our globally organized IT which does have that access ...

Nevertheless, I would like to get as close as I can to finding out what could be at the bottom of this so I can forward this to our IT_guys, although I have a feeling that this is more a pastime than productive (for the simple reason that any hint you can give me will be gratefully received by me and forwarded, but probably not picked up by IT).

One app that failed just now (our primary data-loading script that fetches all the data for apps further down the line) does not have a document_log and the most telling line in the task_log, to my understanding, is this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

02/01/2017 05:32:45.3156340 Error Failed to allocate a QlikView Engine.

02/01/2017 05:32:45.3156340 Error No QlikView Engine was available after waiting for 45 minutes

02/01/2017 05:36:36.6235372 Information Failed to check in document: E:\QV_Syncreon\production\04_Non_User_Apps\LizenzZuordnung.qvw

02/01/2017 05:36:36.9355252 Error The task "production/04_Non_User_Apps/LizenzZuordnung.qvw" failed. Exception: || QDSMain.Exceptions.TaskFailedException: Task execution failed with errors to follow. ---> QDSMain.Exceptions.ReloadFailedException: Reload failed ---> QDSMain.Exceptions.FailedDocumentCheckoutException: Failed to check out document with path: E:\QV_Syncreon\production\04_Non_User_Apps\LizenzZuordnung.qvw ||    at QDSMain.ReloadTask.Reload(String fileName, TaskResult taskResult, String sectionAccessUserName, String sectionAccessPassword, eReloadOptions reloadOption, String variableName, String variableValue, Boolean moniterCpuUsage) ||    --- End of inner exception stack trace --- ||    at QDSMain.ReloadTask.Reload(String fileName, TaskResult taskResult, String sectionAccessUserName, String sectionAccessPassword, eReloadOptions reloadOption, String variableName, String variableValue, Boolean moniterCpuUsage) ||    at QDSMain.DistributeTask.Execute(TaskResult currentTaskResult) ||    --- End of inner exception stack trace --- ||    at QDSMain.DistributeTask.Execute(TaskResult currentTaskResult) ||    at QDSMain.Task.AbstractTask.TaskExecution(ILogBucket logBucket, TaskResult taskResult)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now, this does look like a resource_problem - "no QlikView engine available" probably means that QlikView could not grab enough server_resources to work normally?

Can anyone tell me what this issue looks like on the server_side? Do you have to explicitly allocate resources to QlikView? If so, what should be a normal working level?

Any help here will be appreciated!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

to handle multiple (maybe hundreds or thousands) of tasks and many of them in concurrent isn't an easy job. You need to know quite well all of your tasks - spans of run-times, priorities, dependencies, ... - to be able to develop a stable update-strategy. Especially if you only had the server available for this.

A step forward would be the using of the publisher which enabled the possibility to have various triggers for a task and with them to implement various checking-routines which might end up with a complete second task-chain - each ETL line checks the other and handled errors, timeouts and so on and maybe correct thing and restarts the tasks if necessary. This is far away from trivial and needs a lot of experience and I believe there won't be a real short cut to them ...

- Marcus

View solution in original post

9 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I will now read through what manuals I have for the server_installation and try to find out what I can. Still, I would be grateful if anyone could help me here - I can go through all the settings in the QMC.

If it helps, I can turn off some of the logging_capabilities - the ones I cannot follow up on myself because IT will never do so, so these would be superfluous - only I have one app using those logs to display the allocation of licenses, I don't know by heart what type of logging is necessary to keep that going ...

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

there are settings how many tasks could be run parallel (they are general limited depending on the number of logical cpu-cores) and also how long a task will be waiting until a timeout happens. I think this posting will be useful for you: Server-Task delaying.

- Marcus

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi Friedrich,

The below errors typically refer to too many concurrent tasks configured for the number of available reload engines.

02/01/2017 05:32:45.3156340 Error Failed to allocate a QlikView Engine.

02/01/2017 05:32:45.3156340 Error No QlikView Engine was available after waiting for 45 minutes

Are you using Publisher? Or just QlikView Server reload engine?

How many total processors are there?

Check QMC > System > Setup > QlikView Distribution Service > QDS@ > Advanced tab; what is the value of Max number of simultaneous QlikView engines for distribution: ?

-Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Chip,

I cannot access the server itself, but from what the QMC tells me on that tab, there are 32 cores, and all of the checkboxes are ticked.

And no, we don't have the Publisher.

There are other errors, too - with some apps, there is a line "allocated a QlikView-Engine successfully", but then there is a different error - it is not always the same.

Still, I have to try what I can to find out about this.

Thanks a lot!

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

@ Marcus

I browsed through that other thread and I now set the max. number of concurrent reload_jobs from 4 to 10. Let's see if this will make any difference ...

Do you know about those other settings I can do rgd. the QlikView_server? Is there anything that could increase the chances of success by making the processes run smoother?

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hmmm ... there must be something about the server.

Quite some task_logs (the apps do not generate a document_log, they do not start at all though the green button in the QMC stays for a long time) go like this:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

03/01/2017 15:21:25.2216768 Information Allocated QlikView Engine successfully. Current usage count=2 of 10 (of type non-reader). Ticket number=5094.

03/01/2017 15:21:25.2216768 Information Loading document "E:\QV_Syncreon\production\04_Non_User_Apps\Items_auf_Sperr_QS.qvw" (0.34 Mb)

03/01/2017 15:21:26.3136348 Information Loading. LoadTime=00:00:01.0919580

03/01/2017 15:21:27.2807976 Error Document open call failed. The document might require username and password.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

What can this mean - none of my apps require a username and password - or does this relate to the user we have set up in the QlikView_server to run the tasks?

I will have a look at that guy.

Hmmm ... where does that user have to be set up? I cannot find it just now ...

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

to handle multiple (maybe hundreds or thousands) of tasks and many of them in concurrent isn't an easy job. You need to know quite well all of your tasks - spans of run-times, priorities, dependencies, ... - to be able to develop a stable update-strategy. Especially if you only had the server available for this.

A step forward would be the using of the publisher which enabled the possibility to have various triggers for a task and with them to implement various checking-routines which might end up with a complete second task-chain - each ETL line checks the other and handled errors, timeouts and so on and maybe correct thing and restarts the tasks if necessary. This is far away from trivial and needs a lot of experience and I believe there won't be a real short cut to them ...

- Marcus

marcus_sommer

The open of the application failed - most often will be the reason a problem with the access rights from the user which runs the server-services.

I suggest as the next big ToDo (maybe with some escalation through your hierarchies) to enable the document-logs by each application and to keep this as a default-setting to all new applications.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

well, the publisher would cost us a lot of money, so it isn't an option in this company - QlikView is not on the official agenda anymore - it will remain with us for a while and I'm still in charge, but no one would be willing to spend money on it anymore ...

Well, anyway, the problem solved itself once more - today, the QDS was restarted and now everything is running again 😉

If it happens again while I'm still in this job, I won't trouble you with this anymore, knowing that just waiting will do just as well as trying to debug things ...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler