Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

First 4 characters of some CSVs not being read

I've come back to Qlikview after a couple months away, hoping to get a few things done. Before I left, I had my load script working just fine. Now, I've got a weird problem: when I try to read some CSVs that live on a network share, QV does not read the first 4 characters.

The attached screenshot shows the csv, open in Excel, and what I see when I try to load the table with the File Wizard. Changing the delimiter to "Comma" fixes the delimitation problems, but doesn't make the first 4 characters of the file appear. Changing Quoting to "none" (which is how the file is written) doesn't help either, nor does changing the Character Set.

I'm getting a similar error when I try to read several other CSVs, many of which I haven't edited since 2013. Any guesses as to what's going on here?

If I move the file to my computer's desktop, it's read just fine.

Qv.png

16 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Here we go (attached).

marcus_sommer

This worked for me without any problems:

Directory;

LOAD ACTIVITIES,

Activities_Name

FROM

[lookup-acts-sample.csv]

(txt, codepage is 1252, embedded labels, delimiter is ',');

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

As I mentioned in the original post, it works for me, too, if the file is local to my machine. But when it's on our network share, it doesn't.

marcus_sommer

Are you sure that it's exactly the same file? Rename the network file and copy your local file to the network and then try again.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Yup. Just deleted the local file, copied it from the network and tested it locally--it worked. Then deleted the old network version, and copied the local file back onto the network and tested it from there--got the same error I was having before.

I suspect this is related to the same bug I'm having with where QV cannot include an external source file from a network drive--that one is a confirmed bug that Qlik doesn't plan to fix.

Le sigh. If QV wasn't so useful, I'd dump it like a bag of rocks at this point--I've been fighting bugs for the last 4 months and still don't have a working application.

marcus_sommer

Which release of QV 12 do you use - maybe an upgrade to the most recent release might help.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Looks like I was using 12.10.0.0. I downloaded 12.10 SR1 - same issue. Ugh.