Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
navaneethqv
Contributor III
Contributor III

Performance issues in Qlikview server

Hi,

We are facing some Qlikview server performance issues in our PROD server. We have one server which works as both publisher and QVS. We have around 39 applications and due to performance issues, we had to transfer the reload tasks to a DEV server with only distribute task done in the PROD server (no reload enabled). Also please note that none of the reload tasks were running consecutively. We even tried increasing the maximum number of Qlikview distribution engines to 7 (8 core CPU). Max size of the application is around 1 GB.

Is there any way to improve the performance, without increasing the RAM? I have read somewhere that, we can set the working set-max is set to 95-97%, so that just 2 GB RAM is available for OS. Will this improve the performance or is this a good practice to so the same? Or is there any other way to improve the server performance. Please suggest.

Please find below the server configuration:

CPU: 8 Core 2.70 GHz

Memory: 131072MB RAM

Regards,

Navaneeth

5 Replies
Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi Navaneeth,

With the Low Working Set configured to such a high value, you are not leaving much available RAM for the QlikView Distribution Service (QDS). I suspect that after you reboot this server or restart the QlikView Server Service (QVS), you see some improvement in Reload/Distribution tasks. Short-term solution would be to reduce the Low Working Set and long-term solution would be to move Publisher to it's own Windows server.

Hope this helps.

- Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
navaneethqv
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the reply!!!! Right now the low working set is 70% and high working set is 90%, which is the default values. So will any change in those values(increase or decrease) improve the QVS/QMS performance?

Regards,

Navaneeth

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Ah, I re-read your original post again and see that you were considering a change to increase the Lower Working Set. If you do that, you'll be setting aside more RAM for QVS to use at QDS's expense. So if you decrease the Low Working Set, you'll free up some more RAM for QDS. I think best thing to do would be to see what is consuming memory on the QVS side. Ensure the QVS logs are set with High Verbosity and then review the QlikView Server Events log for errors and warnings. If you need assistance interpreting and analyzing the logs, reach out to Qlik Support.

navaneethqv
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the suggestions!!!  But apart from these, we often get "document CAL open failed. Document might require username and password" error messages. A manual rerun is required to solve the issue. Does increasing the desktop heap memory resolve this permanently? Or is this also associated with some RAM constraints only?

Regards,

Navaneeth

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Without reviewing Task/Document logs I'm not sure what "document CAL open failed. Document might require username and password" error messages could mean. The Desktop Heap increase is if you wish to run more than 9 QVB engines if your Publisher server has 10+ processor cores. The later versions of QlikView will include an entry in the Task log showing how many QVB engines are available. So if you see something similar to "QVB engine 9 of 9 available" then a Desktop Memory increase would be needed.