Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlik Sense crashes in Load Editor

My data load runs well and my application works.

However, if I try to edit the data load the editor screen blanks, and closing this app closes Qlik Sense.

I'm using Qlik Sense Desktop 3.1

I've tried re-loading Qlik Sense - repair - without success.

Suggestions welcome.

26 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Reuben,

Unfortunately our organisation doesn't allow us to load "non-standard" applications.

We struggled to have them load Qlik Sense, actually.  Now that we have it and I'm demonstrating it to our Management, I can't make changes to the data load! They were very impressed at first.  Now, not so much.

Regards,

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Steve,

My apologies on the delay responding here, and I am sorry to hear that loading in legacy mode did not correct the issue.  I have done some more testing regarding this and am unable to reproduce the issue consistently.  May I ask the size of the application, as well as the specs of the machine loading on?  In order for me to recreate this, it seems that I have to max out the RAM utilization in my lab.  Can you verify this is not the case? 

Regards,

Dillon Mullis

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, Dillon,

I'm not sure how best to answer this, but let's see.

I'm running a set of (at the moment) seven visualisation sets.  The largest is 56,306KB, and the smallest is 9,174KB.

(These are New Zealand public health care datasets, each analysing a small geographical region.  A data load imports about 20 files (usually Excel tables) including a kml mapping file which is one of either 19Mb or 6Mb, depending on the geographical region.)

Data load takes less than a minute, even for the largest file.

PC specifications:

Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 3.30 GHz

Installed memory: 8.00 GB

64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Does that answer the question?

Again, thank you for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Steve,

That should be fine for the loads you are doing.  Based on the information supplied, is it safe to assume there are lookup functions within the script?  There is a current issue where the lookup functions can cause some issues with loads.  In order to determine if this is possibly the cause, attempt to reload the data that works the first time, several times in a row.  I would like to determine if the table load is the actual issue, or if it is something else within the script.  Thanks!

Regards,

Dillon Mullis

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi, Dillon,

Yesterday I cleaned up my PC as best I could, removed every trace of Qlik that I could find, then installed a newly-downloaded version (now SP4). I had an idea that perhaps the fault is with my PC or installation, and that I’d be able to say “Oops, sorry…”. That didn’t happen; there was no change.

I have loaded the data six times in a row. The first took 44 seconds, and the last took 33 seconds. (Looking at the size of the Excel files, the speed never fails to amaze me!) There are no error warnings with the data load, and the Data Model Viewer is “clean”. I’ve made all of my links within the Excel sources; there are no Synthetic Keys and no circular references.

I’m not sure what lookup functions are! Looking at Qlik Community feedback, I’d say my work is quite simple, compared with some of the stuff that’s going on elsewhere.

I just loaded an early app, created about 18 months ago, and had no problem with data load editor. I could open it and edit it without any problem. That suggests that there’s a problem with my later app rather than the installation or my PC.

I’ve also found an earlier version of the current app set, and I can open its Load Editor, too. This one, though, has reminded me: when I first installed version 3.1 the load editor seemed to load – and then complain about – spurious commas that hadn’t been in the script before. Here’s a snip from that unedited script:

(You can tell that my coding is naïve!)

The comma after ‘Other’ wouldn’t have loaded in the earlier (version 3.0) application – the app simply wouldn’t have loaded – but it turned up here, and I had to remove it.

Is there a way to retrieve the script from my later application? It looks as though the problem lies there, doesn’t it?

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi, Dillon,

I believe we've settled this problem!

In my data load I had a long series of (quite straightforward) "if" statements applied to an Excel table.  These were along the lines of

if(

[Element] = '40402' or

[Element] = '40403' or

[Element] = '40404' or

[Element] = '40405' or

[Element] = '40407' or

[Element] = '40410' or ...

(and so on for 40 or so elements)

[Element] = '61013',

'Primary',

and other, similar stuff until

as [Rate],

I have now found the Debug button, which has allowed me to open my data load screen.  I realised that I was asking Qlik to update what was in effect a static (lookup) Excel table on the fly by creating a new column in the load.  I deleted that section of code, and the load worked.  (Then, as I should have done in the first place, I updated the Excel table with the lookup values and simply asked Qlik to import the field.)

Unfortunately, when I first set up this import there had been no problem with the load; I applied it to another six apps.  I now have to fix them - though now I know where the fault is, I can do that quite quickly.

Sorry to waste your time!

Regards,

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Steve,

My apologies for the delayed response on this.  I was under the weather a bit last week. I am glad to hear that you found the issue with the "if" statements.  I assume by now you have corrected the other applications, but I believe commenting out the if statements would have resolved the issue as well.  I wonder if several of the other users that have reported the problem here are using the "if" statements in a similar environment.  I really appreciate your detailed explanation, as it will benefit greatly in troubleshooting this behavior in the future.

Respectfully,

Dillon