Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How many users can my server support with a 500M qvw file?

How many users can my server support with a 500M qvw file?  my server is 4-core 2.0G cpu 8G ram windows2003 64bit. I want to know how many users can visit my system in the same time.

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

It depends upon some calulation as given below :

1.How much memory has been used by first user ? =A

It will take slightly more memory as .qvw needs to be loading first time in memory.

2.How much memory has been used by second user after .qvw file is in memory (it will be less than first user) =B

3. As you mention that you have 8 GB of ram then its handling limit should be around 7.2 GB because after this server become unresponsive and it will get hung.

4.  User = [(7.2 - A) / B ] +1

You can measure memory from task manager.

Note--> it will not come 100% accurate because if you have shared/collabration objects the the value of memory usage will be differ User wise.

Not applicable
Author

Hi AmitArya, Thank your for your reply.  How can I measure A and B in my eviroment?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Wormecota,

It's hard to say how many users you can run on an 8GB machine for a generic 500MB document. But since you have the document, you can easily run a test by first loading the document from the QVS and look at the RAM usage. If QVS now takes up 1GB RAM and you add another user, you might see the RAM usage increase with about 5-15% depending on how the document is structured. At this point it scales up pretty linearly with every new user adding a similar overhead.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Best thing you can do is test it.

There are some open source tools you can use to do a stress test and see how far your server can go, like jmeter.

Beware that it might take you some time to understand the Ajax requests. There were some samples around from the last Qonnections.