Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

hide value in line chart

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to hide a value of a dimension ("NOTREFERRED") in a line chart using the expression IF([Reason for Referal] <> 'NOTREFERRED', [Reason for Referal]). But although the value of "NOTREFERRED" is not showing in the legend, the line is still in the line chart and grayed out (as shown below).

hide line.JPG

I would like it to disappear so that all other lines can move up and I can see clearer difference among the other values. How do I do it?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It is the way Qlik was designed. What is interfering with "show null values" checkbox is a "Use continuous scale" checkbox you have probably on on X Axis!

If you disable it then you will be able to uncheck "show null values" values check box under dimension.

If you think about it then tt is kind of obvious as continous scale by default has to take into consideration non existing data and therefore option of "show null values" under dimension is diapearing - right?.

hope this solves your querry

regards

Lech

2017-02-03_13-19-50.png

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What happens when you actualy filter that column in filter pane and dont select "NOTREFERRED" value. Does it dissapear from your chart then?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes it does disappear if I filter it out.

However I don't want it to use filter because this will affect other charts. How can I get rid of it from the chart?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

When I use a simple line chart with only one dimension, I could use the expression and uncheck "Show null values" so that this value doesn't show (if I keep "Show null values" checked then it'd still show in the chart with the value changed to blank).

However I'm using two dimensions (adding the date dimension) because I want to see the trend, then I don't have the option of "Show null values".

I have hence found a work-around where I delete the date dimension, uncheck the "Show null values", then put the date dimension back. It now works.

Just wonder if there's a better way of doing it...

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It is the way Qlik was designed. What is interfering with "show null values" checkbox is a "Use continuous scale" checkbox you have probably on on X Axis!

If you disable it then you will be able to uncheck "show null values" values check box under dimension.

If you think about it then tt is kind of obvious as continous scale by default has to take into consideration non existing data and therefore option of "show null values" under dimension is diapearing - right?.

hope this solves your querry

regards

Lech

2017-02-03_13-19-50.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Wow Lech what you described solved my problem beautifully! I wonder how you guys get to know all these tricks...Is there any book or website that teaches how these sections relate to each other?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You just learn on the job. All those things with QlikSense are still new so even Qlik Help document is not up to date. However i use it very often to see how properties are designed:

for example:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.1/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Visualizations/time-aware-charts.htm

There is no up-to-date book which will describe all functionalities of Qlik Sense (related to UI objects). If you are looking for good read in regards to script and backend and expressions then you can use QlikView related books as a learning source. 90% of knowledge will apply to QlikSense as well!

These are my favorite ones:

If you go through them you will learn a LOOOOOT about Qlik world.

regards

Lech