Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II

Any option to copy/import the Assigned users list from one server to another

Hello,

QMC--> System--> Licenses-->QlikView Server--> Client Access Licenses(CALs)--> Assigned CALs

We are moving to a new box. We have around 150 assigned users in our old box. I wanted to know if there is an option to copy/import the list of assigned users from our old box to the new one, instead of searching and adding each assigned user individually?

Please advise

Thanks!

17 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can try copying a server object file called CalData.pgo. It's usually located in the Document root folder.

Best,

Peter

vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Peter,

I copied the CalData.pgo file from the old server to the new one. It did not work

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Did you shut down the QlikView services on the new server before copying the file to the new location?

vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

No I did not. But restarted the QV service after copying file to the new server

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Better copy after shutting down the services. You never know when the QlikView server decides to overwrite a pgo file with its own data...

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hello Vindhya,

What type of CALs are in use in your environment - Named CALs? Doc CALs? Mixture of both?

You could use the Dynamic CAL assignment option in the QMC to ensure your users receive CALs without much administration on your part.

-Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Chip,

We are using Named user CALS.

I agree with you on the Dynamic CAL assignment option. But was not sure on how it works exactly. All I know is that it will allow all the users to access the files and thought there would be any security issues that might arise . So was thinking to add the users to the Assigned users list in QMC.

Thank you

vindhya_giri
Creator II
Creator II
Author

We have around 150 Named User CAL's in our old server.

Now we are moving to a new server. (using the old server license key; QlikView Publisher License, QlikView server license  info and applying to the new server)

Assuming that I will manually enter all the 150 names (QMC--> System--> Licenses-->QlikView Server--> Client Access Licenses(CALs)--> Assigned CALs)

When I apply all the 150 names to the new server, will the 150 users be able to access the apps on new AccessPoint immediately or will it take some time?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hey. If you're using Windows NTFS for authorization, you'll just need to ensure that the QVWs are placed in directories where your desired end users have permissions. Then you can use Dynamic CAL Assignment without worry.

-Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!