Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Summarising the output of an expression

Dear all,

I have a large table of time stamps that I wish to analyse to find the average time it takes to complete certain actions.

The table could be summarized as follows:

INSTANCEID - A key that links all rows in the table related to a specific transation

OP_NAME - The type of operation

CLOSED_DATE_TIME - Timestamp

A small data sample might look like this:

timerelease2.PNG

I have written an expression as per below that gives me a list of intervals between two timestamps from the currently selected data, as below:

=Interval(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess Registered (direct)'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME))-(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME))

If I put this expression in a Simple Chart using INSTANCEID as a dimension, I get a correct list of intervals across the selected data. Furthermore, I can Select 'Average of rows' in the Expression tab which gives me the average of the intervals shows, which is exactly the result I require.

timerelease.PNG

My question related to displaying the information.

I just want to display one number, the average of all the selected Timestamp Intervals, in this case 30:31:31, but not display the actual data.

How do I achieve this? I am assuming that I need to use a combination of Avg, Aggr, and Only functions around the expression shown above to achieve this but I am getting confused.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

6 Replies
sunny_talwar

You want to display this in a text box object? and what exactly are you doing here? Summing the interval for individual INSTANCEIDs to get 30:31:31?

Not applicable
Author

Dear Sunny,

Apologies for my lack of clarity. The number 30:31:31 is the average of the intervals of each INSTANCEID.

As per the sample data provided it would be calculated as follows

INSTANCEID 1 Interval 00:02.00 (2 mins)

INSTANCEID 2 Interval 29:05.00 (29 hours and 5 minutes)

INSTANCEID 3 Interval 03:25.00 (3 hours and 5 minutes)

Average interval is 32:32.00 / 3 = 10:50.40

The Expression shown in the first posting lists all the intervals based on the currently selected data. I want to just display the mean average of the intervals in a text box. Hope you can help me with the syntax.

Thanks in advance.

sunny_talwar

Give this a shot:

=Interval(Avg(Aggr(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess Registered (direct)'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME))-(Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME), INSTANCEID)))

Not applicable
Author

Dear Sunny,

I'm getting the message 'Error: Error in Expression: Aggr takes at least 2 parameters when using that formula in a text box'. Can you give me any advice on resolving this syntax issue? From a bit of googling, it looks like I need to give the command a second dimension/ expression to work with; but i'm a bit confused.

Hope you can help.

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Based on Sunny's expression it is just a bracket closed for Aggr in a different place. Just try this? The aggr bracket was close just before the minus symbol.

=Interval(

Avg(

Aggr(

Only({$<OP_NAME={'Assess Registered (direct)'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) -

Only({$<OP_NAME={'Validate'}>}CLOSED_DATE_TIME) , INSTANCEID                    

)

)

)

Not applicable
Author

Brilliant; that's working. Thanks for the Syntax correction Vishwarath.