Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flottmen
Contributor
Contributor

Best way to parse key/value table efficiently

I am new to Qlik and have a question about a table I am trying to parse through.  Our production data base has a Key/Value table with the following structure:

Id,

Category,

DateEntered,

Name,

Value

I need to extract some (20) of the key value pairs (based on name) so that I can join them to the rest of the data set on their Id.  There are about 80 million rows in this key/value table and I need the transformation to happen very efficiently.  I am already taking the table as is (no transformations) and saving it as a QVD.  I am also using an incremental load to keep this table up to date.  I intend to do this transformation incrementally as well. 

My question is: what is the most efficient way to parse through this data set?  My first attempt at this pulls the ids from another table (where they are the primary key) and then joining the key/value table one key at a time.  However, this isn't very fast.  Is there a more efficent way to do this?

Here is a sample of my script:

KeyValueParse:

LOAD

Id

FROM Table;

JOIN (KeyValueParse)

LOAD

Id,

Value

FROM Table2

WHERE Name = 'IPAddress';

JOIN (KeyValueParse)

LOAD

Id,

Value

FROM Table2

WHERE Name = 'FirstName';

The output table should look like:

Id,

Value as IPAddress,

Value AS FirstName

I was thinking perhaps I could pivot the data in the script but the searching I have done says that isnt an option. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

You can use a The Generic Load or use For loop to do this....

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sunny_talwar

You can use a The Generic Load or use For loop to do this....

flottmen
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Perfect.  Thank you. 

flottmen
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Are there best practices for an Incremental Generic Load?  The generic table I am loading from has a date stamp and about 80 million rows.  I am hoping to make this as fast loading as possible. 

sunny_talwar

I have never done that before, but I think it should be same as any other incremental load. grab new data and use generic load to assign them to their new buckets