Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sense Desktop 3.1 SR4 Problem with multiple accounts on same machine

Hi @mike_tarallo

I can't get Qlik Sense Desktop to work with multiple accounts on the same machine.

Here is my setup:

Windows 7 64-bit VM fresh image, member of domain, all sorts of group policies in place.

Downloaded Sense Desktop 3.1 SR4 to "All Users" Desktop for easy access.

Logged in as user with admin rights - install it successfully, I am able to open Hub.

Give admin rights to another userid. Log off and log in as user #2 with admin rights.

Installs successfully. User #2 is able to open Hub. Remove user #2 from Admin group and log off\log in back to make sure even without admin rights it still works - it does. Yay!

Now, i log in as local admin again and give user #3 admin rights. Log off and log in as user #3 (admin rights in effect)

Go through same sequence of installing the product - except this time user #3 cannot open Hub. Tried to refresh page with F5 just to get "Could not Reach http://localhost:4848/hub with error (-102)." message.

Tried uninstalling it, deleting %temp% files, deleting %appdata%\local\Programs folder, restart and then log in with admin rights as user #3 again and installing the Sense Desktop again but can't make it to work...

I can't pinpoint the problem as it's intermittent. Can you help @mike_tarallo?

17 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I also found this warnings and errors in Event Log:

The description for Event ID 300 from source Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Working directory is C:\Users\userid3\AppData\Local\Programs\Qlik\Sense

The description for Event ID 300 from source Qlik Sense Service Dispatcher cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

CProcessManager::StartProcess: CreateProcess API failure (5); Access is denied.

Engine\Engine.exe

Qlik.converterservice (Converter Service) is disabled

Child process (4744) started

Facility = Sense Engine

ExePath = Engine\Engine.exe

Script =

Command Line"Engine\Engine.exe" -P 9076 --WSPath "C:\Users\userid3\AppData\Local\Programs\Qlik\Sense\Client" --MigrationPort 9074 --DataPrepPort 9072 --NPrintingPort 9073

Child process (5096) started

Facility = App Migration

ExePath = Node\Node.exe

Script = MigrationService\index.js

Command Line"Node\Node.exe" "MigrationService\index.js" --context=desktop --port=9074 --log-path="H:\\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Log"

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike, did you hear anything from developers?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Alex - I have not - I am attempting to reproduce this for you.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Alex - I attempted this in Windows 10 and in Windows 7 and was able to install QSD 3.1 SR 4 (3) times start, open hub and create an app - each user had their own directory and copy of that app. - The only thing I made sure to do (as you sated) was Logout NOT switch user. To test, I switched user instead of logging off and there was a QlikSense.exe process being run by the other user - when I logged in as user 2 - Qlik Sense Desktop would not start.

I am not sure where else to go with this as it worked on my test systems.

Let me see if vkr‌ - has any other advice.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

After a lot of testing I am convinced that problem I have is user account related. I switched order of users and the account with problem that I used "third" I'm using "first" and i have same problem.

Vinay_Kapoor
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Interesting. In general, Qlik Sense Desktop is not designed to work on a machine with multiple users since this used to be a lead generation tool. As such, you can get around that limitation in the manner you have approached (i.e. by elevating all users to admin and then performing installations). This does however have the potential to cause problems since you have the potential of you local program files being overwritten with every installation (the core installation is shared amongst all users in this case). Also, I suspect what is going on is that you have processes from one user now interfering with other users as the exe from a particular location is already executing a process for a certain user.

Instead of installing it per user, I recommend trying the following:

1. Install Qlik Sense Desktop for the local admin user

2. Copy all files from the installed location to a common place that every user can access.

3. Login as user2 or user 3 and then copy past the installation in the user's local content area (for e.g. /documents)

4. Create a short cut to qlik sense desktop executable on user's desktop and program files and use that to launch Qlik Sense Desktop

This should in theory allow each user to use the desktop in their individual user space instead of sharing system resources.

Let me know if this works out.

Regards,

Vinay

Not applicable
Author

Found a problem The issue was in H: drive mapped for one user account - H: drive had "Documents" folder with a lot of logs. Once I disconnected H: drive, I was able to launch it and Hub opened up. I restarted, made sure H: drive connected again and launched Hub again and it worked this time as well. Problem solved. Thank you for all your hints and support.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Alex - great to hear - thanks for the diligent troubleshooting. I will put that in my notes. Stay Well.

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik