cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrainey18
Creator
Creator

Update Data File

I have an excel spreadsheet which I create and update with a macro.  When I go to the data manager and load the data in, my apps are still pulling from the old data file.  How do I get them to pull from the new data that I uploaded?

Note: When I view the data through the data manager I can see the new data that the macro added.

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the macro also save the excel file?

Excel will only keep new data in memory, you need to save it in order for the data to exist on disk for qlikview to pick up

mrainey18
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes it saves the file.  I tried doing it two ways: one deleting the file and creating another one with the same book name and sheet name, and then opening the file and just saving it again. 

Both times resulted in Qlik pulling from the old file.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

And you pressed the "Load Data" button in Qlik Sense?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are using the 'Drag and Drop' file upload feature in Data manager then a copy of the file will be stored locally on the Qlik Sense Server.

If your file is constantly updated you or your sense administrator needs to create a Lib connection to the original file location and repoint your load script to this location.

The Sense Help will guide you through this;

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.2/Subsystems/Hub/Content/LoadData/adding-data.htm

mrainey18
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes.

mrainey18
Creator
Creator
Author

I am not dragging and dropping the file in.  I upload it using the data up loader.  So: Add Data-->Connect my Data-->Excel Files-->Navigate to the file-->Prepare data-->Load Data

After I load more data on to the excel file I go to the Data Manager, find the table I want to refresh and click load data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Either way the file will load up to the sense server and be stored on the server as is, you would constantly need to upload the refreshed data everyday.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

mrainey18
Creator
Creator
Author

So if I pulled my data from a SQL server, would that fix my problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, if the SQL server contains the continually updated data then this would solve your issue.

It would still require a lib connection setup in Sense.