Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlik Sense Importing Variable from Excel

Hi all,

Anyone know how to import the variables from excel file into the Qlik Sense application.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ming Jiun

2 Replies
JaMajka1
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Hi Ming,

what does it mean to import the variable from excel? Do you have a definition of variable in script and you want to assing a value from excel to it? Or do you have a set of variables and their default values in excel? Or anything different?

Maria

itec_pao
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi all,

In every QlikView application, we have expressions, labels, color definitions, variables, etc. Just thinking of the expressions, if we write them in QlikView, every time, we have to change the expressions, we have to change it within each chart.

By defining the expressions, labels and colors at one place outside the QlikView application, we are able to manage changes in much more convenient way and even reuse it within other applications. This might be important when using, corporate colors, slogans, titles, etc.

I have created an excel file with several sheets, named it GUI_PARAMS.xlsx and put it into the same directory where the QlikView application is. The first sheet contains the sheet names within the excel file, which will be read in to the application and we will call this sheet vSHEETS.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-04 um 08.35.23

Therefore, I have three sheets vCOLOR, vLABEL and vVARIABLES_CALC, which will be processed. I have created each of these sheets with the same names.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-04 um 08.38.07

Each of the sheets containing to columns (column name with the sheet name and the Entry column) containing the variable name and the value.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-02-04 um 08.39.34

In the script editor of the QlikView application, we can include this code below, which will read in the vSHEETS sheet and then based on the entries on this sheet, read out all other content of the sheets.

PARAM_TMP:
LOAD vSHEET, Entry
FROM [lib://Folder/GUI_Params.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is vSHEETS)where not isnull(vSHEET);

FOR I = 0 TO NoOfRows('PARAM_TMP') -1
vSHEET = PEEK('vSHEET',$(I),'PARAM_TMP');
LET $(vSHEET) = PEEK('Entry',$(I),'PARAM_TMP');

$($(vSHEET)):
LOAD $($(vSHEET)) ,Entry
FROM [lib://Folder/GUI_Params.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is $($(vSHEET)));

FOR I_2 = 0 TO NoOfRows('$($(vSHEET))')
vSHEET_2 = PEEK('$($(vSHEET))',$(I_2),'$($(vSHEET))');
LET $(vSHEET_2) = PEEK('Entry',$(I_2),'$($(vSHEET))');
NEXT I_2

DROP TABLES $($(vSHEET));

NEXT I
DROP TABLES PARAM_TMP;

When you run the script, you will see the entries in the Variable Overview (under Settings).