Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview SDK/API for Java Application

Hi,

I want to develop a spring based java application which could fetch metadata of reports/dashboards from Qlikview backend and store it in its own DB. Is there any SDK or API provided by Qlikview  to interact with its backend by a Java application?

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

Take a look here: How to connect Hadoop Hive.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks marcus, this is very helpful but I needed an API which can fetch objects (like reports) from qlikview infrastructure and store its metadata (like report name, path, containing folder etc) into a DB.

marcus_sommer

I'm not sure if it's possible and also sensible to try it from the outside with an java-application. AFAIK the best way to read and collect all possible kinds of meta-data is qlikview itself. The meta-data from a qvw and a qvd reside within the xml-header of the files and could be easily read with qlikview or any browser/editor. Also most of the various config- or log-files are xml- or plain text-files. This meant if your java-application could just read xml- and plain text-files you didn't need anything else - whereby it might be helpful to look into the various already existing tools like:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/governance-dashboard/2.0/Content/Getting-Started-with-the-Governance-Das...

Governance Materials.zip

If you really want to do something with java and you needs some support I think you should contact rbecher who is an expert on java-stuff with qlikview, see: QVD Converter - TIQ Solutions‌.

- Marcus

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can interface to the QlikView Management API to obtain metadata of published documents, locations, users, licenses, tasks etc. The interface is .NET based, so I'm not sure whether you'll be able to connect from a Java environment without writing an inordinate amount of interface code yourself.

See: QMS API Reference

If I read between the lines, I understand that you also want to load data and reports themselves? ¨Please keep in mind that QlikView has no global repository for BI content (like Sense does). All documents are self-contained QVW files and access to their content on disk is only possible with a direct connection (like a BINARY load) using QlikView tools. The existing services (except for the QVS service) have no idea what's inside these documents and they don't really care.

The most common technique for accessing and/or reusing BI content in QV documents is by exporting the data (as tables or data models) during script execution or in the UI, or by adding another QV stage.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for such useful information, Peter. I will look into QlikView Management API to explore possibility to connect Qlikview from Java environment. Let me clarify that I don't want to load reports themselves into the application  but only their metadata.

Sole purpose of the application is to provide a common platform from where user can access reports from multiple Reporting tools(Qlikview, Cognos).It provides a UI from where reports(on selection)  navigate through the actual report path, so its  basically a redirection.

I have already integrated Cognos and used API provided to interact with its content store. So I was looking for an API that can do something similar on QMC or QMS level in Qlikview. I understood now that there is no global repository for Qlikview but I am keen to know how Qlikview Management Console keeps track of QVW files.

Thanks,

Rohan S

shyamerukala
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find any approach for your requirement. If Yes please let me know, I am working on similart kind of work.

jqlikscence
Contributor
Contributor

Did any one find the solution/API to access the data from java application