Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Do I need to install QlikView Desktop in the Server?

Is there any reason which makes it convenient to to install QV Desktop in the server in which I have the QV Server installed?

I am leasing a user CAL in my desktop and and in my laptop with no issues (QV leased in both machines using just 1 User CAL).

Yesterday I openned a QV document in the server (I was logged in with my credentials) and very extrange things started to happen. I have got the impression that trying to get 3 leases for a single user (Desktop, Laptop and Server) screwed all up.

Can someone confirm if there is a limit in the number of computers in which the same user can lease User CAL's?

If so, maybe is a good practice not to install de Desktop version in the QV server so there is no chance to use one of them in vane.

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Carlos,

Firstly, I wouldnt install Desktop version on Server, coz it eats away Server memory and processing time especially when reloading and generating complex reports.

Use dynamic assignment of CAL in qvs settings(see the img), that option will help you to use single CAL at a timeCals.png

Please correct me if there is a different solution.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Krishna, that's what I thought (no added value to install it in the server.

However, I still have a question regarding whether there is a limit in the number of computers on which a same  user can lease a Named User CAL. As said, desktop + laptop (2) has worked out for me.

Not applicable
Author

You have a NAMED CAL assigned on ur UserId. So, it doesnt matter where you logon from with same id. Mostly there will be no limit on number of computers u log from.

It would have probably used 3 CALs if u were using Session CAL and loged from 3 systems.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Carlos, I believe the limit is 2 machines were the same nominal license can be leased from.