Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ameydiwanji
Contributor III
Contributor III

Custom sorting of Dimentions

Hi,

I am facing problem in sorting the dimension. I have monthly data which i want to sort in reverse order on the basis of months. For eg. I have sales data for Nov'16, Dec'16, Jan'17, Feb'17. Now, i want to sort this data in visualization in such a way that Feb'17 should come first for current year followed by Jan'17, Dec'16, Nov'16.

Can you guys help me??

9 Replies
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Hi

Is your [Month/Year] field a date field or text? If it is a date field then you can do a numeric value sort by descending  order. If it is text than you can put this as your sort order in the expression:

=Match([Month/Year], 'Feb-17', 'Dec-16', 'Nov-16')

Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Mean while check this for better u.standing

Month/Year date field in date sort order

sarvesh
Creator III
Creator III

Hi..Amey,

Try this

If(Customer='$(vFocusCustomer)', 0, 1)

If(Customer='$(vFocusCustomer)', 0, Rank(Sum(Value)))

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

OR you can create a custom SortORder by loading an inline table associated with the field you want to sort

and then sort by expression

For example

SortMonths:

Load * Inline [

MONTH,Month_SortOrder

Dec,6

Nov,5

Oct,4

etc.............];

Now sort by expression Month_SortOrder

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
ameydiwanji
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks a lot for the suggestion but still it is not solved.  I tried this but still the result is coming as Dec'16 first followed by Feb'17, Jan'17 and Nov'16

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

hI,

There are few options you can do

• Load data in the order you want to show it and on sorting page disable all options (that will default to load order)
  • You can also sort data during load and create dual values for each of them - see this topis as i have explained it in details (your case will be looking at months and attached example is for weeks - but concept is the same).
  • Time Sequence in line chart not in correct order
  • I would suggest converting your text dates to actual dates (numbers with date formatting) - then you will get more flexibility, and you will be able to sort it numericly

regards

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
priyasawant
Creator II
Creator II

You can create a inline

Year, Sr No.

Feb'17, 1

Jan'17, 2

Dec'16, 3

Nov'16, 4

and sort by --> expression --> and select the field Sr No

Not applicable

Why don't you just convert it to a date? date#([Month/Year],'MMM'& chr(39) &'YY') Make sure you check descending order. Does it not work?

Not applicable

Update: Don't convert in the script - apparently there's a bug! (probably to do with the apostrophe) Do it in the sort order field!