cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pie Chart visualization: Overlapping values

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding pie chart visualization:

The end user wants a pie charts which visualizes his KPI. There are some very high values and some low ones.

Normally, the pie chart is configured, that it creates a virtual dimension "others", where the low values are aggregated. If you click the "others" dimension, then you drill down to the remaining low values.

This is not acceptable for some end users, because they want to export the pie chart to PPT without any drill-down to make.

This is why I changed the minimal value setting for the pie chart to 0.001. This would be the solution, but it leads to overlapping values within the graphic:

screenshot.149.png

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Is there any option, that the values at the pie chart can be visualized in a staggered way?

I have included a 'demo example' to this problem.

Any help is highly appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

You can add some stagger using the Repeat function with some carriage returns.  See attached.  Note the -6 is a static value which should probably be calculated - I will leave that to you.

However, I agree with the previous comments that suggest that this is a very poor visualisation of the data - use a straight table (where you can have columns for actual amount and %) or a bar chart.

Regards,

Stephen

View solution in original post

15 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

would a vertical barchart (with sorted dimensions) be a solution?

barchart.jpg

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Msglanges ,

Can you try to show the values on legend instead of showing them as values on data points .

May be If u can remove the values on data points and select text as pop-up in expression tab and try to select show numbers on legend in presentation tab ...

here is the qwv file ...

Not applicable
Author

Gud idea Brad,

But best way to present this is Bar chart, as Prieper suggested

Not applicable
Author

Am Bradd schrieb:

Hi Msglanges ,

Can you try to show the values on legend instead of showing them as values on data points .

May be If u can remove the values on data points and select text as pop-up in expression tab and try to select show numbers on legend in presentation tab ...

here is the qwv file ...

Hi Am Bradd,

I also had this solution in mind, unfortunately the user thinks that it is not as easy to grasp in a management meeting than having the actual values in the graphic.

But thanks anyway, it is a helpful thought!

Not applicable
Author

prieper schrieb:

would a vertical barchart (with sorted dimensions) be a solution?

barchart.jpg

Peter

Unfortunately this is not what the user wants to see... nevertheless, thank you for your input!

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I took sometime and did this. If I was you, this looks a lot better I dont know if its really useful, but Pie charts are used to show percentages rather than the actual numbers.

Thanks

ANDY

prieper
Master II
Master II

In the barchart you may display the percentages as well (choose to show on the axis) or group the expression, one to show the value, the other the percentages.

Peter

neetu_singh
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

Please find the attachment. it will help you out.

At expression click on(+)sign and add the expression in Pie popup and in presentation set "lower limit on slice".

As shown in attachment.

Regards

Neetu SIngh

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

You can add some stagger using the Repeat function with some carriage returns.  See attached.  Note the -6 is a static value which should probably be calculated - I will leave that to you.

However, I agree with the previous comments that suggest that this is a very poor visualisation of the data - use a straight table (where you can have columns for actual amount and %) or a bar chart.

Regards,

Stephen