Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can´t open qlikview after reload with section access in Publish Server

Hello all,

I'm developing a Qlikview report with section access. This report is like a template file, that is loaded with input parameters that can change depending on the client.

The section access is loaded by an external Excel file, that contains all the necessary columns:

• ACCESS;
  • USERID;
  • PASSWORD;
  • NTNAME.

The Excel file name must be a variable, because it can change (depending on the client that is running). The Excel file name is like this: ..\..\Config\$(vPathVariable).xlsx

In order to keep this Qlikview report clean, at the end of the script I remove all the unnecessary variables. The section access path variable is one of the variables that is removed.

Beside this, I've checked the "Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access" and "Strict Exclusion" on the document properties window.

After the Qlikview reload, I open the document with the admin user and I can see everything.

The problem is, when I publish this document into the publish server for the clients, they can't open the document with any user that is configured in the Excel file.

I don't know the root cause of this problem, but I suspect of the following:

• I can't remove the section access file name, because in the server it loses every references;

Why this is happening?

8 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You won't need the Excel file path, unless the server needs to reload your document.

How do you publish this document? Do you do a QDS reload before the document is shown in the AP? Which by the ways is always a good idea...

And highly useful: "they can't open..." doesn't mean much. I cannot open your document either, but that's probably because of the geography. Does the document appear in the Access Point? If so, what kind of message do they get when they click the thumbnail?

Best,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

I don't know it it's the same, but in my first post I said that we use the Publish Server to deploy our applications, but instead we use the "QlikView Management Console" (QMS). Is it the same thing?

The publish procedure is as follow:

1. In the QMS we specified what are the folders to load QVW files;
  2. Non of these QVW files are schedule or set to reload;
  3. In a specific time of month, production team reload all the QVWs files;
  4. Automatically the QMS publish the new version.

After the client logged in the portal, he can see all the correspondent applications. Then they open the application and try to access throw their second login (Section Access). Is in this step that the user can't open the document. There's no error message, only say that the user don't have access.

Thanks in advanced,

Best regards.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

QlikView Server is composed of a number of services (always the same number). All of those services are managed and configured using the QlikView Management Console (QMC). The Management Console is a web page displayed by the Management Service (QMS). The Management Service stores whatever you do in the Management Console in configuration files for the Distribution Service (QDS aka the "Publisher"), the Directory Service (DSC), the Web Service (QVWS) and last-but-not-least the QlikView Service (QVS).

To answer your question: the Publisher or Distribution Service is a program acting like a black box (ie no user interface). The only way you can tell the Publisher to do something is through the QMC (or via the Manegement API).

Publishers exist in editions too. If you do not have a Publisher license, then you are running the Publisher in a very simple way: the QMC becomes very clean: only a Reload tab is added to your documents. If you do have a Publisher license, then the QMC has Source and User Documents tabs and allows you to configure very complex tasks and publication mechanisms. I understand that you do have a Publisher license.

Anyway, I do not think this is the cause of your problems. A hunch tells me that you may have trouble with your Section Access fields and conflicts between the different authentication mechanisms. Just to make sure: does your Section Access data contain values for both NTNAME (AD authentication) and USERID/PASSWORD (Ad-hoc document security) in every row? Or do these fields on occasion contain * characters?

Can you post a sample of the content of your Section Access source data?

Best,

Peter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The content of the Excel file that is load via Excel file is:

ACCESS   NTNAME                            USERID   PASSWORD   LEVEL1_SA   LEVEL2_SA   LEVEL3_SA

ADMIN             *                                    user1          pass1                 *                    *                    *

USER              *                                    user2          pass2                 *                    *                     *

ADMIN      Domain\companyName              *                 *                     *

In the meanwhile, I've a hunch that might resolve my issue. Instead of reload the QVW file in my local PC and then copy it to the Publisher Server, I'll reload the QVW file in the Publish Server and place it on the correct folder. Do you think this might solve my problem?

Thanks in advanced,

Best regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I think it's better to show a picture instead of text:

CaptureSA.PNG

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Of course that's a good idea (see my first post, 2nd sentence). Although NTNAME values are stored as plain text, and AFAIK problems only arise with reloads with AD accounts in your SA table outside of the QlikView Server domain, I am convinced that QlikView often runs into trouble when SA tables are reloaded somewhere else.

If the publisher is allowed to reload all your document data, you can be sure that the contents is consistent with the environment and the implicit domain connections. So go ahead and try it - at least once.

Remember that in order to reload your document, the Publisher must have access to your document. So you may have to provide a document in which Section Access instructions are present but not active yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

After some failed attempts I found a simple solution. Remove SA. The problems disappeared and the clients are happy.

Still don't know what cause all those problems, but I still want to know. I'll investigate a little further in a few days.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Need to make sure the Service account is in section access and all the Levels are blank.

ACCESS   NTNAME                        USERID   PASSWORD   LEVEL1_SA   LEVEL2_SA   LEVEL3_SA

ADMIN, SERVERACCOUNT, *,*

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.