Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to filter data that applies to an entire sheet

Hi,

I am trying to achieve the following but cannot figure it out (I am using Qlik Sense Desktop).

I would like to create 1 app with 1 data source (an excel spreadsheet with multiple columns of data) which feeds all the sheets on an app but I need each sheet to have its own filters which do not affect any other sheets.

(In other systems you are able to copy the original data, make amendments to the copy and create charts from the copied data.  When updating the original data the copies will automatically update also so multiple data sets are not needed.  I have not been able to replicate this behaviour in Qlik.)

here is a simplified example of what I am trying to achieve.

Sheet 1 - Contains all SALES, IT and HR data.  

Sheet 2 - Contains only HR data BUT the data field that contains the HR information is not part of the charts. 

The charts should only include HR information but the actual dimension would be Location and the measure would be number of employees

Sheet 3 - Contains only SALES data BUT again the SALES filter should not be in the chart.  The charts would only contain Sales data but the dimension would be Location and the measure would be number of stores.

I cannot use the filter panes as this affects all the other sheets.

I have tried using a custom dimension but this only works if you are using that dimension in the chart (I would not be).  I have tried adding it in to an existing chart and the information does not change.

Is there any other simple way of doing this? 

Thanks very much,

Kizzy

23 Replies
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

No problem Kizzy

Im sure looking through this videos and the links will help you make progress.  CHrome doesnt have any issues with visibility of Qlik functionality unless its a really old browser version.

lt me know if you need any more help.

Regards

Andy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Omar,

Unfortunately this is not what I need.

On other systems I am able to do the following;

SHEET 1 - is the parent sheet - contains all data which I can run analysis on every data point

SHEET 2 - is child of SHEET 1 but with specific data removed so I can run analysis on every piece of data and do not have to add filters to each chart to remove data because it is already removed in the data manager

SHEET 3 - is child of SHEET 2 but with more data removed.  I can also run analysis an all data points without adding additional filters to every chart

The parent sheet is the only one that needs to be updated to update all sheets as the parent feeds all data into the child.  I do not want to have multiple excel sheets with different data removed, I should be able to do this in Qlik.

If you think of this in terms of a pivot table in excel, the original data stays the same but when you select the data to create a pivot you can select different sections of data for different pivots but the pivot charts can be created from all data points.

Hope this clarifies my request.

Thanks,

Kizzy

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Kizzy I think you are getting confused with the features and functionality of excel vs qlik.

Perhaps if you mock up what you want in excel and share, it will be easier to visualize what you need and help guide you to the best solution.

Regards

Andy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Andy,

I have created a word doc with some screen shots of some fake data along with the charts I was able to create in Power BI. These are the charts/functionality I am trying to recreate in Qlik.

There is no option to add word docs to my response, is there any other way I can send them to you?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Kizzy

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

If you go to the advanced editor when you reply there is a tool to attach external documents to the thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Andy,

There was no advanced editor option on the individual reply back to you but I created a doc file upload and sent it through to the data market team.  I have added you as an approver.

Thanks,

Kizzy

OmarBenSalem

Hi Kizzy,

1.PNG

2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

DOH!! Thanks Omar.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I have to say big thanks for the quick turnaround on my endless questions.

Using the youtube guides I have now worked out how filter using the measure expressions.  Below is an example.

Sum({$<GG={14,15,16}>}Number of Reqs)

Although I have an additional question.

How to create the same expression when the original measure already a master measure?

i.e. how to integrate the above expression which only includes data from grades 14, 15 and 16 with the existing measure below.

sum([Approve to Close]) / sum([Number of Openings])

Attached is a screen shot of the Qlik chart showing what kind of chart I am using.

Thanks,

Kizzy

OmarBenSalem

You want : sum([Approve to Close]) / sum([Number of Openings]) only for grades 14, 15 and 16?

Is that so?