Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Way to link two fields from a table to only one of another table

Hello all, I would like to know the best possible to link two fields to one field in another table. The properties of IP Origin and Destination are the same so it makes sense to do this.

I already tried making to IP table with the same data but renaming in each table the IP and Description field but I would like to know if there is a better way. Also to take account that this is just an example and both tables have much more fields and I don´t want to rename so many fields.

3 Replies
ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Federico,

If the properties of the fields IP, Ip Origin and Ip Destination are the same, may be on the table to link composite keys, for example [Ip Origin]&'|'&[Ip Destination]?

Regards,

Andrey

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This link relates to calendars to handle the common scenario for multiple date fields. You can use the same principles as these for resolving your 2 IP address problem - typically either a canonical IP table, or duplicate dimension tables.

Calendars

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Or if you are simply mapping them to the description, bring the origin and destination descriptions into the fact table.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein